What’s the opportunity?
Working on fast-moving projects to develop and evaluate navigation algorithms. Researching, developing, testing and evaluating algorithms as part of the wider complex system solution.
The successful candidate will be part of a dynamic team within the Guidance, Control and Navigation Department and will get the opportunity to work across a range of contract and research activities hence impact multiple areas of deliveries within MBDA.
Navigation algorithms are central to the design and development of MBDA’s complex guided weapon systems products. Algorithms are developed at many stages of the lifecycle of the product including:
- Research studies, both externally and internally funded, to investigate algorithms for future developments
- Algorithms to support initial missile feasibility and concept studies
- Algorithms in support of assessment and development programmes
- Algorithms to support upgrades for in-service products.
There is the potential to scope the future development of this role to include team management and associated responsibilities in the future. What will you be doing?
What are the benefits for you?
- You will be responsible for development of specific algorithms or studies to support key programmes within MBDA.
- Responsibilities can include concept studies, algorithm design and trade-off studies, trials preparation, trials analysis and reporting, architecture definition, algorithm and model validation.
- You will be autonomous and will be able to act as a point of contact for GCN’s interactions with the other project teams e.g. Simulation and Modelling, Software, Hardware-in-the Loop, Systems Design & Validation and Technical Quality.
- You will perform technical analyses and investigations into a full range of issues and problems and prepare and develop solutions either individually or as a member of a project team.
- You will engage with the algorithm users, understand and respond to their needs and ensure that the algorithms are fit for their intended use.
What’s great about joining this team?
- You will gain in-depth knowledge of the design and functionality of MBDA’s complex weapon systems through your model development work. You will understand how GCN supports our weapon system products and gain insight into a number of related disciplines with whom we have a high level of interactions
- You will play a key role in the development of our complex weapon systems and have the opportunity to work within an international discipline in MBDA.
What we are looking for from you?
- GCN Teams have a central role in the concept definition and development of our products. We work across all MBDA UK products, giving depth of experience and opportunity to all team members
- You will be joining a hard-working team with a successful track record in achieving project milestones on time and on budget.
- A stimulating environment with exposure to high-profile, fast paced projects.
Strong programming skills are required including MATLAB, a good Degree with a strong mathematical content would be desirable, along with previous demonstrable programming, real-time implementation, validation & verification and navigation experience. Relevant experience with the state-of-the-arts navigation algorithms, Navigation Algorithm design, comparative evaluation and testing is a strong advantage.
- Ideally PhD qualified and with relevant industrial experience or Degree with a strong mathematical content e.g. Aerospace Engineering, Control Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics
- Ideally will have knowledge and experience of some of the following:
- Inertial Navigation
- Aided Navigation techniques, for example but not limited to,
- Global Navigation Satellite Systems
- Terrain Referenced Navigation
- Image Based Navigation
- Radar and LADAR imaging
- Opportunistic Navigation / Signals of Opportunity
- Data fusion techniques
- Kalman filters
- Non-linear filtering
- Ideally will have knowledge and experience of the following:
- The MathWorks products – specifically Simulink, Embedded MATLAB and Stateflow
- Model Based Design
- Configuration management
- Requirement Management e.g. DOORS and Rhapsody
- C, FORTRAN and Ada
In addition you will:
- be pro-active and be capable of working on your own initiative with a minimum of supervision, as well as within an algorithm development team working transversally with other functions
- have an understanding of and an ability to work within defined processes
- have the ability to visualize and analyse complex systems
- have good verbal, presentation and written communication skills
- have practical knowledge of basic systems engineering principles and processes
- be able to work with engineering teams, including in-house and contractor personnel
- have good understanding of, and good working experience in all phases of the engineering life cycle
We would welcome interest from many industries including: avionics and aerospace, computer vision, robotics, autonomous systems within the mobile phone industry and within the GNSS industry.What would you get?
*Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements. MBDA is a proud member of Working Families – the UK’s work-life balance organisation.Follow MBDA on LinkedIn and Twitter.