An opportunity has arisen within the Environmental Engineering & Facilities (EE&F) UK Function for a Senior Principal Engineer to lead the Mechanical & Climatic Project Department, consisting of approximately 27 engineers (including 5 direct reports) in Stevenage. EE&F is integral within all MBDA land, sea and air based weapons system Projects and operates at all stages of the product lifecycle (from concept definition and product development, through design aid and formal qualification, and into in-service support). Within this role you will be responsible for the delivery of Environmental Engineering task packages on MBDA Programmes, through the provision of technical management, collaborative working and leadership across the environmental project engineering and data analysis teams.
What are we looking for?
What’s in it for you?
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience / Chartered Engineer desirable
- Proven people management and leadership skills and demonstrated ability to motivate a team
- Strong technical background in environmental, mechanical or similar discipline
- Comprehensive understanding of mechanical & climatic environments and associated environmental test equipment/facilities
- Demonstrated expertise in the field of shock and vibration analysis and simulation tools would be beneficial
- Experience of environmental defence standards
- Understanding of the environmental life cycle and the key activities across the Product Life-Cycle
- Strong Project Management skills and experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities
- Excellent influencing and interpersonal skills
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills
• This role offers an opportunity for you to provide supportive leadership to a motivated and effective team
• Varied and interesting work
• You will be involved in influencing project heads/chief engineers to invest in changes/developments that have potential technical & financial implications.
• You will have the chance to develop EE&F Projects strategy to keep pace with emerging technologies and threats
• You will have the opportunity to advance your existing technical and people skills & experience. The Role
What’s great about the team?
- To lead the MBDA EE&F UK Environmental Project Department, applying specialist technical knowledge and advice to projects and sub-contract design authorities, with overall responsibility for EE&F UK Project programme deliveries
- Provide expertise in defining Environmental Requirement Specifications (ERSs), including Environmental Proving Plans and Requirements in support of product development
- Provide assessment of all relevant environmental requirements and their interpretation into design and test levels for the complete product and for its sub-systems, while maintaining overall consistency of logic and an efficient approach across projects
- Define cost-effective proving logic and write proving plans with the wider project teams
- Contribute to the overall EE&F Function vision and provide clear and positive leadership to the Project Department consistent with this vision, to drive high performance and job satisfaction within the team
- Conduct day to day Functional management of the Environmental Project Department in support of the Head of EE&F UK
- Ensure that all environmental engineering activities are included in the appropriate project management plans and establish effective communication with supporting Functions such as Systems, Mechanical Design and Analysis (Stress & Thermal), Electronic Engineering
- To liaise with the Projects to ensure that the objectives, resource requirements, budgets and timescales of Environmental programmes of work are agreed and are then met in accordance with the agreed statements of work
- Act as a technical support to the Projects during bid phase, being strongly involved in discussions with the customers
- To provide support to Design Verification Plan (DVP) with respect to interpreting environmental requirements, proving guidelines, conformance documentation and test techniques
- Support Head of EE&F UK in implementing improvement activities, including the development of the people, skills and capabilities of the Environmental Project Department
- Some of the key challenges for the role include:
- Reinforcing the link between Environmental Engineering and Project Teams (CE, CDE, CSE), with a holistic view across all UK Projects
- Working across functional and international boundaries to resolve complex technical and people management challenges
- Raising competency level of staff and achieving demographic/skills profile
- Influencing project heads / chief engineers to invest in changes / developments that have potential technical & financial implications
- Developing EE&F Project strategy to keep pace with emerging technologies and threats
What would you get?
- You will be leading a highly skilled and motivated team, with a strong desire to constantly improve the Department’s performance and influence within MBDA. There is a broad range of skills and experience within the team and strong team spirit amongst its members.
*Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements. MBDA is a proud member of Working Families – the UK’s work-life balance organisation.