Safety Assessment Specialist - Warhead Engineering
Location - Reading / Basingstoke Area
Package: AWE offer a competitive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available. We will consider candidates looking for full time or part time hours.
Sunday Times top 25 big companies to work for in 2019
We are currently recruiting for Warhead Safety Assessors to be responsible for assessing compliance of product design, design changes and process modifications against applicable statutory and safety requirements. The post holder will apply appropriate safety methods, tools and techniques to support this process and will work with engineering teams to ensure successful delivery of design projects.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities:
- Provide guidance and support to the allocated project(s) on design safety matters
- Identify the design safety requirements for projects
- Organise and support, HAZID/HAZOPs and other design safety meetings as required
- Produce safety deliverables, in accordance with the project's Safety Management Plan, such as Design Safety Assessments, Safety Statements, Trials Hazard Statements and other supporting assessments as required within the allocated project(s)
- Generate system safety architectures for design projects
- Liaise with other safety functions to align design safety with facility and operational safety within the overall company management systems
- Ensuring compliance with Design Authority requirements for management of the safety information and provision of specialist advice into the programme
- Review of technical documents
- Undertake reviews of design safety risk reduction options as required
- Present authored documents to approving committees, stakeholder meetings and forums as required
- Manage review comments on documents being authored at all levels of review, as required
- Produce design safety procedures as required
- Develop knowledge, skills and experience on systems design safety
Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
- Highly developed interpersonal skills focused on achieving and maintaining effective working relationships to meet common goals
- Good technical analysis skills
- Ability to manage priorities and work to challenging timescales
- Ability to deliver objectives on time and to quality with minimum supervision
- Good written skills with a particular aptitude to present clear, well written and concise arguments
- The ability to deliver technical presentations
- Competence in the use of both MS Office and technical software
- Good problem solving and decision-making skills
- Experience of safety assessment or a related role ideally within a high hazard environment, for example, Civil Nuclear Power, or Off-shore Oil or Chemical industry
- Ability to interact with/understand other disciplines and motivate them to support the safety activity
Ideally, we would expect candidates to have a Degree or equivalent qualification in a science or engineering discipline or equivalent vocational qualification. Prior Safety experience is desirable for this role, however, candidates who have appropriate experience in a related field and are looking to develop into a safety role will also be considered.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the security clearance required for the role, be willing and able to travel within the UK and overseas as required. This role may require the wearing of PPE.