Criticality Safety Assessors
Location - Reading / Basingstoke area
AWE offer a competitive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available.
AWE has been named in the Sunday Times top 25 big companies to work for in 2019.
We are looking to recruit a number of Criticality Safety Assessors, at various stages of their careers, who are interested in maintaining and expanding their personal expertise and can demonstrate an appropriate level of understanding of ongoing developments within the criticality safety assessment field.
Key aspects of the role will be to provide an in-house criticality safety assessment capability in support of delivering the company's strategic objectives. This will involve the effective delivery of criticality safety assessments and the provision of specialist criticality safety support, including advice and guidance to our technology centres, operational and project management teams.
Candidates will be expected to have some knowledge and / or experience of the following:
- Techniques used in criticality safety and an overview of the different regulatory methods outside the UK
- Nuclear physics; e.g. cross section uncertainties for Pu and U isotopes, nuclear data libraries, energy structures, collision processing techniques, ability to derive uncertainties using experimental data (and appropriate ranges of application)
- Nuclear transport codes - Monte Carlo and deterministic methods
- Requirements of fissile operations within a Nuclear Licensed Site
- Physics of criticality (and an understanding of the chemistry and metallurgy of fissile materials)
- Risk assessment and hazard identification methods applied to major high hazard plant
- Working with a range of technical and non-technical stakeholders
- The Nuclear regulatory framework within the UK
Candidates must be willing to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
Both full and part-time candidates will be considered.