Are you an experienced control systems engineer with excellent leadership, communication and influencing skills?
Do you have proven experience of leading control systems and software development activities?
If you have excellent technical skills and love to solve challenging problems in collaboration with like-minded people, then please apply.
We are looking for an established and highly experienced technical lead, in order to become the expert in the design, implementation and commissioning of real-time robotic control systems. We require you to have advanced knowledge of a range of control systems techniques, devices, systems and approaches, as well as expert knowledge in overall control systems architecture. If you have previous experience of implementing control systems for robotics in hazardous environments (including radiation), this would be highly advantageous.
As the Senior Control Systems Engineer and subject matter expert, you will have responsibility for:
- The design and production of advanced robotic control systems
- Conducting related research and development activities
- Leading RACE projects with control systems expertise, producing control hardware and software for robotic remote handling and related systems
- Working on the design and execution of advanced research projects
- Leading complex interdisciplinary and multi-organisational collaborative engineering and development projects
We have a dynamic, and highly motivated team of over 150 engineers, scientists and technicians devoted to building systems that perform tasks in some of the most extreme environments in the world. RACE is a leading laboratory, solution provider and operator of robotics and autonomous systems. We create innovative machines that combine advanced control systems, intricate mechanical designs, state-of-the-art sensing and extraordinary performance. We also develop sophisticated VR, optimisation and planning tools to enhance these systems.
RACE`s work is applied across a diverse range of challenging applications and industries. As a business unit of the UK Atomic Energy Authority, RACE is at the forefront of developing fusion technology to provide a clean and sustainable energy source for future generations. In addition to a competitive salary we offer an outstanding pension, world class benefits and a unique working environment.
At UKAEA we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particular from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities, (visible and hidden) and women. Our Inclusion Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding, two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in people.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- PhD or Masters` degree in Control Engineering or a related subject
- Proven experience of leading control systems and software development activities
- Strong awareness and understanding of modern control systems technologies
- Experience of software engineering management and quality
- Experience of designing and building digital control systems
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and a proven ability to function as part of a team
- Strong understanding of Object-Oriented Design
- CEng or equivalent accreditation
- Significant experience with C++
- Understanding of software engineering processes including lifecycle, version control, documentation
- Experience with network-based communications, E.g. TCP, UDP, DDS
- Experience working with mobile robotics
- Understanding of sensor fusion techniques
- Experience working with robotic control for nuclear applications
- Understanding of safety requirements relating to moving machines
- International travel to customers` and collaborators` sites may be required
- On-call / shift work may occasionally be required
Selection Methods and Notes:
- As part of the selection process you may be expected to complete work based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received
- Please note, UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews
- We actively promote equality and value diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role
- Please note, all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions