AWE is currently recruiting for an ambitious Scientist or Engineer to develop Radiography / Non-Destructive Testing processes leading to the assurance of Products. The role is to support current and future programmes.
Location - Reading area
AWE offer a competitive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available.
We will consider candidates looking for full time or part time hours.
Your role will grow to be responsible to:
- Develop specialist knowledge through continuous professional development (CPD), company training, suppliers and Communities of Practice (CoP)
- Innovate to create and implement new strategies to inspect for defects in future Products by developing new methodologies, including Design for Inspection principles.
- Represent Quality Support in Product Design, Technical or Task reviews, defect reviews and stakeholder meetings as required to ensure Quality is represented.
- Deliver Quality Inspection Assessments for Product Certification to ensure that Production targets are met.
- Represent Quality (Radiography) by engagement in site-wide capability development programme.
- Engage with relevant stakeholders across AWE, the UK and our international partners
We would love to hear from early career individuals with some relevant experience in the development of Radiography processes.
Typically, we would expect you to have some knowledge and/or experience of:
- Basic quality tools and world class manufacturing
- Awareness of modern Radiography technology - Direct Radiographer (DR), Computed Radiography and Computed Tomography
- Problem resolution and continuous improvement tools and techniques
- Developing and applying Radiography inspection techniques in order to confirm design requirements
- Radiography Inspection practices, interpretation of resulting imagery in accordance with detailed requirements, the safe use of X-ray & Gamma equipment, setting up of components/assemblies
- Working knowledge of the Ionising Radiation Regulations
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.