Senior Mechanical Engineer - HVAC Systems
Would you like to play a key role influencing engineering design for a key international programme for BAE Systems? We currently have a vacancy for a Senior Engineer to join our Australian Hunter programme team on site in Scotstoun.
BAE Systems Australia's subsidiary ASC Shipbuilding was awarded the head contract by the Australian Government for the Hunter Class Frigate Program (HCFP).
The Hunter program will deliver nine anti-submarine warfare frigates to the Royal Australian Navy and is the biggest surface ship project in Australia's defence history. Prototyping will begin in 2020, before steel is cut on the first ship in 2022.
As a Senior Engineer - HVAC Systems, you will be required to undertake a defined range of design activities for HVAC systems in line with relevant processes, quality standards and customer requirements. You will be responsible for progressing design changes through to completion, as well as investigating design issues and presenting at change boards.
This role is ideal for an experienced design engineer who can bring their existing experience to the team and in return you'll l be fully supported in your professional development with the chance for excellent career progression opportunities in the future.
Your main responsibilities as a Senior mechanical engineer - HVAC systems will involve:
- Facilitating and progressing design changes through the change process
- Participating fully in developing, maintaining and modifying engineering processes and the procedures in assigned areas in response to technical developments and operational need
- Carrying out relatively complex technical analyses and investigations, including evaluation and selection of technical options
- Preparing reports with suggested recommendations to support the resolution of problems and the improvement of engineering capability
- Preparing specifications and developing designs in line with specifications and all quality and technical standards
- Acting as a point of contact with customers and/or suppliers in assigned areas on engineering matters, to resolve issues and to maintain awareness of priorities and objectives
- Carrying out system safety reviews and performing hazard mitigation work
Your skills and qualifications:
- Typically, degree qualified (not essential), likely in a technology, engineering or science related discipline
- Experience in engineering or a defence related industry
- Able to perform analysis using recognised analytical tools and to make sound judgements. E.g. Excel
- Ability to communicate clearly verbally and in writing to management and peers.
- Displays flexibility in response to radical changes.
- Working towards the requirements for registration as Incorporated Engineer or Chartered Engineer with the Engineering Council
- Mechanical design and integration experience
- Previous experience dealing directly with customers and suppliers
- HVAC or fluid systems design experience
- Experience in a mechanical/marine engineering environment.
- Basic knowledge of Windchill and AutoCAD
- Design lifecycle knowledge
What we're looking for in you:
You must possess excellent communication skills, alongside a tactful and influential approach for dealing with conflicting stakeholder requirements. You must also have good analytical skills and a good problem-solving ability.
Location: Scotstoun, Glasgow
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
At BAE Systems, our advanced defence technology protects people and national security, and keeps critical information and infrastructure secure. We search for new ways to provide our customers with a competitive edge across the air, maritime, land and cyber domains. We employ a skilled workforce of 85,800 people in more than 40 countries, and work closely with local partners to support economic development by transferring knowledge, skills and technology.
Our Naval Ships business
We design and manufacture a range of naval ships and state of the art combat systems and equipment, giving customers the capability to fulfil extensive naval operations. From offshore patrol vessels through to the latest City Class Type 26 frigates that we are building for the UK Royal Navy, and the Australian Hunter Class and Canadian Surface Combatant, we are a business that operates on a truly global platform and can offer a wide range of opportunities where you can play your part in these challenging and exciting projects.
Attracting and retaining the sharpest minds is essential for a globally competitive UK naval engineering business. Our aim is to recruit the very best talent and we welcome applications from a diverse range of people, from all backgrounds, with many different skills, experience and perspectives. We offer the flexibility you need to do what's important to you, whether that's job sharing, home working, or simply the ability to flex your start and stop times. Where practical, we'll support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your full potential.
We recognise that an inclusive and diverse workplace - where all employees feel respected, valued and able to achieve their full potential - is vitally important. Not only does it inspire creativity and collaboration, it's good for business. We celebrate our differences and believe our diverse skills, abilities and perspectives strengthen our culture and our overall performance.
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified people.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role with BAE Systems.