Senior Spectrum Management Engineer
Salary: £40,000 Plus Market Skills Allowance
Location: Duty station is Blandford Forum, Dorset. A combination of working from other sites such as MOD Corsham and/or Homeworking
Reference number: 66741
We provide digital and technology services to our Armed Forces, ensuring they can operate securely via radio, satellite, and the internet. Operating at scale, with an annual budget in excess of £2Bn and a diverse team of 2,500 colleagues, we're aiming to make our Armed Forces some of the most technologically advanced in the world. To do that we're growing our capabilities in disciplines like data science, automation and cyber security. If you can see yourself contributing to the world of Defence digital and technology, the next chapter of your career may be with us.
The Joint Spectrum Authority (JSA) team is part of the Operational HQ within Defence Digital and is responsible for the management of electromagnetic spectrum across the UK and in support of operations at an enterprise level for the whole of Defence. Access to the electromagnetic spectrum is vital for Defence capability and this needs to be underpinned by excellent radio frequency engineering and information management and exploitation.
• You will be integral to the success of the JSA team, bringing your competent radio frequency engineering skills in to play in driving and directing the team’s information exploitation opportunities to deliver improved spectrum management services.
• You will build relationships, develop innovative ways of working, improve information sharing and communicate thoughts and ideas with Spectrum stakeholders.
• You will be keen to tackle problems, identify solutions, embrace new technologies and develop key radio frequency and spectrum management information into data-rich visualisations, reports and presentations.
• You will be responsible for the provision of data insights to drive Spectrum related business decisions at all levels. Working with internal and external partners plus customers you will be expected to extract data from numerous sources and ensure the quality of information being consumed by the business.
• By embracing innovative technologies, you will adapt to and implement strategies to exploit the potential of new and existing data to achieve long term goals.
The successful candidate will be required to travel to Blandford Forum for 1 to 2 days on a weekly basis, and a mixture of working from home and/or working from other MOD sites will be considered.
Defence Digital operates an organisation model in which every individual belongs to a function. The successful applicant will be posted into one of the defined Professional Functions on Standard Terms of Reference for the grade.
The Head of Function for each Professional Group determines the Continuous Professional Development path for their function as well as approving opportunities across Defence Digital for agile resourcing.
For Official Use Only - CS-Plans-360
1. Planning, coordination and deconfliction of the Defence use of the electromagnetic spectrum.
2. Using your radio frequency and data analysis skills in tandem to respond to electromagnetic spectrum sharing risks and opportunities.
3. Providing data analysis and synthesis, to translate data into valuable insights that inform decisions.
4. Using your knowledge and skills to identify areas for improvement positively impacting processes, delivering new services using fewer resources, including automation, and applying technology to increase efficiency.
1. Experience of planning, coordinating and deconflicting systems and users in their use of the electromagnetic spectrum.
2. Good experience of data analysis and synthesis, including proficiency in translating data into valuable insights to inform decisions.
3. Ability to work with others to both identify and deliver continuous improvement with an eye on automation.
4. Incorporated Engineer (IEng) registered with the IET or other relevant institution
5. HND (or equivalent level 5 qualification) in an Engineering discipline.
HND (or equivalent level 5 qualification) in an Engineering discipline.
An annual Market Skills Allowance of £9000 is payable for this post linked to performance, training, professional development and an assessment of contribution to team objectives. Continued eligibility for this payment, will be subject to an annual review.
Blandford Forum and MOD Corsham offer unique benefits in association with the job role, including;
• Sports facilities; including classes, circuit training and a full gym amongst many others
• Beautiful rural locations in either Dorset or Wiltshire offering a variety of countryside walks, cycles and friendly pubs
• A friendly team culture which prioritises regular social events and team building activities
Blandford Forum Camp offers additional benefits on site including;
• Free sports facilities; including classes, circuits, full gym, squash courts, tennis courts, running track and athletics facilities
• On site cinema offering the best current films at reasonable prices
• On site go-karting track and clay pigeon shooting range – extra costs to use
The Civil Service offers the following benefits;
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
• More information can be found in the Benefits Leaflet attached
Plus Market Skills Allowance
This post does not offer any assistance with relocation allowances.
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
Name: Defence Digital Source and Aquire team
Apply before 11:55 pm on Wednesday 18th November 2020