Purpose of the Job:
Reporting to UK engineering manager and responsible for the engineering, coordination and execution of all engineering disciplines for medium-voltage and high-voltage substation projects, both Air Insulated Switchgear (AIS) and Gas Insulated Switchgear (GIS) substation projects, Rail, Infrastructure, Data Center and Wind offshore & onshore up to the 400 kV range with an emphasis on project safety, cost, quality and reliability. Provide the technical lead and coordination for all engineering activities for EHV/HV substation projects. Ensure that activities related to all engineering disciplines within the project are efficiently and cost-effectively executed in accordance with contract specifications, DoW/SoW, quality standards, and safety requirements.
Key Areas of Responsibility (KARs):
- Deliver projects and assignments as set by engineering manager in the form of annual targets.
- Manage and lead all engineering activities, both in-house and outsourced, during the proposal, design and construction stages of substation projects with strict adherence to the project contract.
- Support proposal efforts by introducing and promoting innovation, cost saving ideas, and value-added solutions to the overall system design concept.
- On-site assessment and evaluation of existing equipment, steel structures, foundations, etc., in so called “brown field” substation projects
- Providing expertise and support to the proposal and project teams in validating sub-contractor bids, and in negotiating sub-contracts for electrical substation projects
- Conform Bid packages with Customer Project Documents:
- Review customer Request for Proposals / Quotations (RFPs / RFQs), and Linxon proposals to ensure conformance with the bid package by:
- Identifying and clarifying technical ambiguities and conflicts in the documents
- Identifying potential or probable risk during construction and installation
- Developing mitigation strategies for identified risks
- Work with the proposal team to ensure that the sub-contractor scope of work is clearly defined, that contract Terms & Conditions include appropriate flow downs, and that risks are properly allocated between Linxon and the sub-contractors
- Validate Sub-Contractor Bids:
- Analyze sub-contractor bid responses for inconsistencies, oversights and mistakes
- Lead sub-contractor bid reviews to resolves bid response inconsistencies, oversights and mistakes
- Provide cost recommendations to the proposal team based on the bid review analysis
- Notify the Engineering Manager and the Project Manager of any difficulties encountered in the engineering and design that may adversely impact safety, reliability, quality, cost, or schedule of the project deliverables, and provide recommendations for solutions.
- Prepare, update and support the project execution engineering activities in the schedule with emphasis on; On-time delivery, Quality of deliverables and Project costs.
- Develop the Design Criteria and the Document Deliverables list for the project.
- Lead the development of single-line diagrams, layout drawings, raceway systems, grounding systems, station service and BOMs for substation design packages.
- Utilize knowledge of the CDM and applicable standards to ensure that designs comply with the required safety clearances.
- Perform technical, cost savings, and constructability reviews of design packages from internal engineering, outsourced sub-contractor engineering and equipment factories.
- Generate equipment specifications, monitor vendor technical compliance and witness factory acceptance testing.
- Strong experience with both outdoor and indoor substation applications. Specifically, on indoor applications, a solid understanding of the necessary building infrastructure to support GIS is required (e.g. wall penetrations, embedded steel supports, overhead cranes, maintenance access, SF6 reclaimers, etc.).
- Experience in HV power cable system design, including ampacity calculations, cable pulling design, cable vault layouts, cable restraint design, and GIS sealing end/air termination applications, is a bonus.
- Experience in various design calculation like grounding & shielding, rigid bus calculation, battery & charger sizing, AC & DC auxiliary system, voltage drop calculation, sag & tension calculation, input for substation tower & equipment support structure design.
- Experience in evaluation of power system study, insulation coordination study, harmonic analysis & capacitor bank sizing, etc. is desirable.
- Experience with protection single-lines, GIS Local Control Cabinet (LCC) schematics, protection and telecommunication interfaces, review of control & protection drawings, CT sizing, relay setting/coordination, is a bonus.
- Expert knowledge of the benefits and strengths of GIS vs. AIS substations as they relate to reliability, space savings, safety, maintenance, security, aesthetics, life-cycle costs, etc.
- Provide substation project management support, including managing engineering scope according to technical contracts, equipment procurement, developing change orders, and maintaining project schedules.
- Adhere to Linxon quality processes and document control procedures to ensure design documents are complete and accurate.
- Experience in Change Management (including providing technical information to support variations)
- Provide construction, installation & commissioning support
- Technical Lead & Responsible of Design & Engineering Management of large and complex substation projects within Contractual scope, SoW/DoW & Engineering cost/budgets.
- Overall responsible for leading & planning all engineering activities of project from start till the As-Built stage with strict adherence to Project Deliverables & Time Schedule.
- Instruct, supervise & coordinate engineering teams within Linxon/SNC/LINXON/Atkins (local & remote), internal & external partners, sub-suppliers, secondary engineers & civil engineers (for various engineering activities as well as interface coordination).
- Develop technical concept, Single Line Diagrams, Layouts, Primary & Secondary Engineering as well as defining various Interfaces.
- Prepare Specifications & Specify Ratings based on various System Studies, check Supplier’s offers/designs and interfaces, system design, etc..
- Prepare bill of quantities & cost estimation, deviations & clarifications
- Review of Suppliers design, ITPs, FATs, SITP, O & M Manuals as well as to attend factory testing & Site testing as necessary.
- Conduct regular engineering reviews with internal team members as well as external suppliers/partners & manage engineering progress as well as costs.
- Lead & attend discussions with Customers, approvals of engineering documents, handle Site queries/NCRs related to design issues and take necessary actions
- Lead/Manage & record technical changes as well as additional scope. Support PM/Management to achieve Change orders/VOs.
- Lead/Manage innovative, optimized technical solutions in order to achieve cost savings without comprising on system integrity, quality, safety & functional requirements.
- Ensures that engineering is developed with complete information and that all multidisciplinary information has been included in the engineering development. Solves problems that appear during engineering development. Drives completion of all engineering activities on the project.
- Authorizes engineering deliverables acting as the overall design authority (coordinating engineer) for all applicable engineering disciplines. Act as a responsible engineer (design authority) for a engineering discipline and complete engineering assignments for assigned projects.
- Collaborates with the project installation, commissioning and site activities clarifying potential issues or providing solutions to correct engineering errors. Provides technical support to the commissioning and start-up activities.
- On target delivery of objectives
- Quality of work
- Safety at the site
- Customer satisfaction
- Cooperation with management, team members, suppliers
- Alignment with company business strategy
- Effective synergies
- Minimum 12 to 15 years of substation engineering experience
- Strong knowledge on substation design disciplines, including primary, secondary and civils.
- Experience in engineering leadership as well as preparation/management of SLD, layout, sections, Primary design & calculations, Grounding & Lightning design, Steel design inputs, transformers, converters/rectifiers, HV & MV Switchgear systems, Auxiliary Power AC & DC Systems, power cables, RFQ, BOQ, SCF, DSLP, Earthing system, Busbar sizing, Cable engineering, Secondary engineering, protection and control.
- Experience of managing and reviewing contractor/suppliers shop drawing and testing submittals.
- Experience in Various System Studies as well as Simulation Studies including RAMS Analysis.
- Availability to travel 40% of the time (domestic/international)
Competencies/ Skills Required:
- Fluency in English– both written and spoken, additional languages are a plus
- Skilled communicator who can interface with numerous external and internal parties at all levels in a multi-cultural environment
- SCADA, PLC, Protection Systems, Communication Systems as well as in Interlocks between stations in a complete line.
- Strong in MS Office & in handling design calculation tools, knowledge in Microstation or AutoCAD is a plus.
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering discipline
Personal Qualities Required:
- Strong sense of accountability and responsibility
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Quality-focused with strong attention to detail
- Strong and effective communicator
- Collaborative team player
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Assertive, decisive, confident
- Resilient and flexible achiever
- Willingness to learn and deliver to timelines
Shaping energy solutions to empower sustainable connectivity.
We combine Hitachi ABB Power Grids deep technological knowledge and SNC-Lavalin’s project management expertise to create a company dedicated to substations – we are Linxon.
Linxon’s vision is to deliver the best market offering for turnkey substation projects through world-class power technologies and delivering the highest level of competence in managing infrastructure projects.
As a leading engineering company, we help our customers with turnkey substation solutions in the field of power transmission, renewable energy and transportation.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to be part of a new company as it evolves and help shape it for the future. If you like new challenges, have an entrepreneurial spirit and are interested in working with other motivated professionals with expertise in the Substations EPC business, then this is the new opportunity for you.
To know more about the Linxon please click on the Apply button.