An exciting opportunity for a Submarine Naval Architect / Marine Engineer in the Naval Authority Group, helping deliver safe, capable and available submarines, both current and future, for operation by the Royal Navy. The Naval Authority Group (NAG) is a pan-maritime group supporting Submarines and Ships, within the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA). The Naval Authority Group is responsible for:
• Provision of Naval Authority Safety Assurance including Certification activities.
• Provision of NAG Technical Support including development of technical solutions and SME advice and guidance.
• Delivery of Training and Development activities including the running of NAG specific courses, seminars and functions to support SQEP (Suitably Qualified and Experienced Person) development.
• Development management of Maritime Technical Publications.
• Management of the Maritime Strategic Capability Agreement (MSCA), between MOD and QinetiQ.
The NAG SM team provide Naval Authority Assurance and Subject Matter Expertise (SME) to the Submarine projects from concept, through build and in-service.
The post holder will work in a small team contributing to the safe management of RN Submarine Structures, managing Key Hazard Certification, undertaking structural analysis and providing Subject Matter Expertise to the submarine projects from concept to in-service. You will be developed to use SM Structures analysis tools along with Finite Element Analysis and be responsible for the maintenance of a portfolio of SM Structures naval standards and guidance documentation. You will have graduated responsibilities in the following areas:
• Reviewing Officer for SM Structures Key Hazard Certification.
• Undertake Finite Element Analysis (FEA) for SM Structural issues in support of SM projects.
• Provide Subject Matter advice to SM Projects.
• Maintain and when appropriate write SM Structures guidance documents in support of projects and industry.
• Assist with the development and maintenance of SM Structures training activities and courses.
Please note that, due to security requirements, this role is limited to SOLE UK NATIONALS ONLY.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Qualified to a minimum of Level 4 (e.g. HNC) in naval architecture / Shipbuilding or related subject
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Practical experience in SM Structures
• FEA capability in Abaqus
• Qualified to Level 7 (e.g. MEng) in Naval Architecture or equivalent
• Working towards membership of Professional Institution and CEng status
• Attended the UCL submarine design course
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Application of Analytical Techniques
• Technical Decision Making
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Communicating and influencing
• Seeing the big picture
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by reading more about our Employee Benefits.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S & SDA – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our Engineers are exemplars both within DE&S & SDA and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Please click on the Apply button to create an account and upload your details.
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.