Would you love to have the opportunity to work on the UK’s leading, most exciting Defence project?
The Royal Navy’s Submarine Service has operated the UK’s Nuclear Deterrent every hour of every day for nearly 50 years, protecting our nation from the extreme threats. SDA are now recruiting for extraordinary people to help deliver the UK’s next generation of ballistic missile submarines – The Dreadnought Class. If you are one of the talented people with skills across Submarine Control & Instrumentation, Software Assurance (Safety Critical), Configuration Management, Submarine Structure/Naval Architecture, Strategic Weapons Systems, Training Needs Analysis (Submarine Operations) or more, the SDA needs you.
SDA are currently looking for talented Nuclear Engineers to join their team, and have opportunities available within the Nuclear Systems Department and Infrastructure Team.
Nuclear Systems is an Application Environment that encompasses the nuclear power, propulsion and weapon systems developed and supported by the SDA. This area is responsible for ensuring that the MOD’s nuclear systems are safe to operate, deliver the desired effects and are appropriately decommissioned and disposed of. This team is looking for a candidate to be responsible for the design performance and safety of rotating propulsion machinery. This post has the variety to include detached duty visits to meet with equipment suppliers, and the exciting opportunity for shipyard visits.
The Infrastructure Team is also looking for a talented candidate. The UK operational submarine capability is reliant upon the infrastructure that supports it. The Infrastructure team is responsible for delivering and updating the infrastructure on Devonport Royal Dockyard so that the SDA can better maintain the availability of operational submarines and support the responsible defueling and disposal of decommissioned submarines. The Infrastructure Team work with Babcock to develop new and existing infrastructure. The end goal is to build two berths and modify a dock, in order to provide capability to provide maintenance periods for the new Astute Class Submarine. The team are striving to have the facilities in service for 2025, and berth starting in 2022. It is paramount that the team agree contracts with Babcock so that they can deliver the facilities in order for Babcock to be able to operate in the facilities when completed.
Please note that due to the nature of the projects involved, these posts are reserved for Sole UK Nationals only.
If successful in a role in the Nuclear Systems Department, you will be responsible for liaising with stakeholders both internally and externally, completing manufacturing reviews on supplier premises and producing/reviewing supporting documentation. You will also have line manager responsibilities for a small team.
If successful in a role in the Infrastructure Team, you will use your technical knowledge to work with the Submarine Water Front Infrastructure Future Team, enabling MOD to make credible decisions on the specification, assessment and acceptance of nuclear infrastructure designs from Babcock that meets the requirements of the site nuclear safety case.
The successful candidates for all roles will be expected to lead and advise on technical problem solving, coupled with appropriate management planning abilities to resolve complex engineering problems. You will need to lead and inspire a team in the definition of technical requirements, manage solution development and ensure compliance with the customers’ requirements. The assignments are an integral interface to our supply base ensuring technical solutions meet the needs and requirements of the armed forces.
Duties could include:
• Delivery of specialist engineering reports and analyses to optimise and enhance the capability of multi-million-pound Defence programmes through understanding risk and making informed decisions.
• Provide expert advice and support to SDA customers, helping them to understand and correctly frame their requirement.
• Responsible for evaluating the problem space, collecting and analysing data and delivering problem resolution.
• Supporting the implementation of recommendations to deliver the high-value benefits predicted.
• Form accurate costed proposals for tasks, negotiate and gain approval for resource commitment and deliver high quality products to stringent levels of time, cost and quality.
• Provide technical leadership and expert guidance SDA customers to enhance the capability and effectiveness of the deliverable.
• Ensure that proposed solutions are properly understood and appropriately exploited.
• Develop and select appropriate tools, processes or methods in unclear situations based on experience and expertise.
• Identify opportunities to implement best practice.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Hold a minimum Level 4 qualification (e.g. HNC) in a relevant Engineering or Science subject or be able to demonstrate the equivalent work experience.
• Demonstrable experience of strong communication and stakeholder management skills across multiple levels.
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Civil Engineering background/Experience working on Infrastructure projects
• Engineering experience on Maritime Propulsion systems including auxiliary propulsion and the supporting ancillaries
• Knowledge of nuclear Safety Management Systems, Safety Cases, Assurance & Regulation.
• Knowledge of Nuclear Authorisation Conditions
• Knowledge of Project Oriented Environmental Management system (POEMS).
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance
• Technical Decision Making
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by reading more about our Employee Benefits.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S & SDA – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our Engineers are exemplars both within DE&S & SDA and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Please click on the Apply button to create an account and upload your details.