SDA Principal Naval Overseers (PNO) are a team of circa 50 staff, predominantly engineers, based in Barrow-in-Furness providing independent assurance that submarine build activities are conducted and meet the necessary requirements of the contract. It also falls on the PNO team to ensure that Project and Engineering Risks and Opportunities identified within the build environment are effectively mitigated and/or realised.
PNO undertake risk based surveillance of vessels during build and provide waterfront and build support/advice to delivery teams. The team ensure correct standards are maintained by promoting the Governance, Assurance and Improvement (GAI) of acquisition, engineering and logistics support activities.
We are keen to speak to and support those candidates that are motivated and driven to progress their careers, with the successful candidates expected to up-skill and develop their knowledge of the systems, and the build and commissioning, of the Nuclear Steam Raising Plant.
Please note that due to the nature of the projects involved, these posts are reserved for Sole UK Nationals only.
As a Technical Overseer you will be expected to advise on technical problem solving and approve technical documentation acting as the PNO Representative in Test and Authorisation Groups. Using your knowledge of nuclear propulsion systems, and construction processes, you will also need to define technical requirements, manage solution development and ensure compliance with the customers’ requirements both in design and during the product build.
General day to day responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Undertaking verification and validation of the Submarine Design and Build against the customer requirements, including undertaking build surveillance and attending Test Groups
• Determining quality management and assurance approaches ensuring technical risks are understood and managed
• Produce and contribute to Surveillance Plans
• You will also be required to brief project teams on findings and anticipated delays to build.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Professionally Registered status or has demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
• A minimum of a Level 4 qualification (e.g. HNC) in Engineering or suitable technical experience in the relevant discipline/specialism that would support successful achievement of Engineering Technician (EngTech) status with 12 months
• Experience of providing technical advice and delivery of successful engineering outcomes
• Technical experience in your discipline or specialist area in a variety of contexts (e.g. Electronics and Sensors, Pressure Vessel Manufacture, Pipe Fabrication and Welding)
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Level 6 (e.g. BEng) level qualification and/or being on the path to becoming a Chartered Engineer
• Member of a relevant Professional Engineering / Science Institute or equivalent body
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Technical Decision Making
• Technical Requirements, Evaluation and Acceptance
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Seeing the big picture
• Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by reading more about our Employee Benefits.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
This role offers the following:
External Applicants: First Appointment Expenses (FAE) of up to a limit of £8,000, depending on the outcome of an eligibility check by Defence Business Services (DBS)
Internal Applicants: Internal Applicants will be eligible for full relocation expenses.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S & SDA – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our Engineers are exemplars both within DE&S & SDA and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Please click on the Apply button to create an account and upload your details.