Make a real impact, immediately
We’re looking for someone dynamic, ambitious and eager to make an impact to become our next Senior Software Engineer.
We’re looking for a mature self-starter with initiative and a broad range of technical skills who can work on a wide range of communication themed innovation projects ranging from embedded prototypes to GIS systems and simulation modelling.
The difference our new Software Engineer will make
Defence Systems Technology (DST) is transforming and we need Software Engineers to realise innovation prototypes to add value to our core offerings of mission critical services. As part of the Information Systems growth team, you’ll work in research and development, based out of our new innovation centre located on the M5 in Gloucestershire.
You will support the development of the innovation pipeline through rapid prototyping by identifying and exploiting new technologies, pulling through prototypes into mature products by applying SDLC process and identifying innovation opportunities in our business and client areas
Who we’re looking for
You’re a motivated, enthusiastic technologist who is able to design and implement a prototype from a minimal brief and design, either as an individual or as part of a team. You’re flexible and creative so welcome changing requirements and opportunities. You’re a proven learner who learns every day and actively seeks new knowledge, tools and technologies.
You will have experience of software development as part of a team.
You must have a portfolio of technology projects or hobbies which prove creativity and experience working in a technology team.
Skills and attributes
• Excellent communication skills, with the courage to admit failure
• Wired and wireless networking experience
• Experience in developing a project in one or more of the following programming languages:
In return for your skill and passion, you’ll get:
• Flexible working
• Autonomy to perform the role.
• The opportunity to make a real impact, partnering on an ambitious culture transformation programme within Babcock’s’ fastest growing business unit.
As well as:
• Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays;
• Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance;
• Our Babcock Rewards Platform allows you to choose from a range of benefits that best meet your needs, including: critical illness insurance, travel insurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance, childcare vouchers, bike scheme, shopping offers and discounts
• Employee Share Plan;
• Free, independent employee assistance programme, offering confidential information, support and counselling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year;
• Professional memberships, personal development training and opportunities;
• If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments.
Where it all fits in:
Defence Systems Technology (DST) forms a critical, and growing part of Babcock’s Marine organisation. Our dynamic and motivated leadership team is committed to an exciting transformation agenda that will help DST to innovate, modernise and create a more people-focussed business that can support our customers’ mission. Working across a range of exciting design, manufacture and support projects, DST employs approximately 1,500 people across the UK and overseas with the largest sites based in Bristol, Plymouth, Portsmouth and Ashchurch.
A number of employee networks support and foster diversity and inclusion within Babcock, connecting people across the business and empowering them to achieve their potential. Our Diversity and Inclusion strategy amplifies their influence.
Other need to knows:
• Location: Ashchurch
• The successful candidate must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role.
• We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you’ve completed this you’ll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices.
Please note that you will not be able to access the vacancy details after the closing date so you may wish to keep a copy of this advert and any supporting documents for your records.
If you experience difficulties please click here. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week’s special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please click here..