QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
The Naval Combat Systems Integration Support Service (NCSISS) delivers the necessary integration, test, evaluation, and acceptance activities across all phases of the equipment lifecycle to support the development and delivery of operationally effective Combat System (CS) capability. It enables MOD and industry to make informed decisions based on objective, credible evidence that is generated by experts in an environment free from supply chain conflict of interest.
QinetiQ delivers NCSISS collaboratively with its partner BAE Systems. NCSISS capability is based at QinetiQ’s Portsdown Technology Park (PTP). PTP hosts various facilities that are representative of key Royal Navy (RN) Combat Systems to allow defect resolution, design support, integration, test and evaluation, acceptance and interoperability activities to be undertaken.
NCSISS is delivered through unique capabilities and enablers including:
• A team of domain specialist Combat Systems Engineers (CSE) who:
o Undertake critical engineering lifecycle activities including design support, integration, test, evaluation and acceptance;
o Provide impartial and independent advice and guidance to Equipment Authorities, their suppliers, and the MOD customer;
o Seek more cost-effective means to perform equipment integration and enable the CS Design Authority function to be discharged with acceptable residual risk and with equipment suppliers held to account;
• A fleet-wide architecting, standards and configuration control service (Architecture, Standards, Policies and Information Authority (ASPIA)) which performs a crucial role in CS design and sustainability through-life;
• Comprehensive and flexible shore integration facilities with the infrastructure and management control regimes necessary to enable government-furnished Combat Systems equipment to be operated, maintained and upgraded ashore in a safe, secure and configuration-controlled manner;
• Synthetic Test Environments (STE) necessary to provide real-time, co-ordinated synthetic stimuli to the CS equipment so that they may be tested and integrated in high load, complex and repeatable scenarios;
• Tools, analysis equipment and techniques to support the role of the CSE.
As an Associate Combat System Engineer, you will operate within a team of engineers to deliver the NCSISS contract. You will be required to conduct integration and testing as directed by the team’s Senior Combat System Engineers, working in partnership with the NCSISS Project Manager, to ensure a consistent approach to the design, delivery and support of our service and advice in accordance with the Technical Delivery Plan. You will have responsibility for delivering specific, delegated project tasks, and will support customer engagement to understand their requirements with respect to capability and programme constraints. You will then develop a test plan, conduct integration and produce supporting evidence for customer use.
We are looking for an individual who is willing and able to work at PTP, in a combined military and civilian team; however, the ability and willingness to travel to other locations in the UK and abroad to support external supplier testing and trials will also be necessary. There will also be opportunities to support sea trials on board Royal Navy ships.
• Support the Senior Combat System Engineers and Technical Leads on relevant technical matters relating to a range of areas across the Combat System;
• Engage with customers, other stakeholders, and suppliers;
• Work as part of a technical team in support of project objectives and contract deliverables in accordance with the Technical Delivery Plan;
• Contribute to the planning of trials including the production of test plans, execution of trial activities and post-trial analysis;
• Assist in the production of technical documentation including the Supporting Evidence for Certificate of Safe Integration;
• Deliver work and reports on progress to more senior technical and project staff;
• Support to sea trials on Royal Navy Ships including potentially overseas;
• Escalate significant problems and issues encountered to senior technical and project staff;
• Assist the nominated lead for the delivery of delegated project tasks and may be required to lead on less complex project work;
• Accountable to the Senior CSE within delegated technical activities.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Honours Degree in Engineering, Physics or similar. HNC/D Level qualification (or equivalent) may be accepted if accompanied with appropriate experience;
• Eng Tech/IEng (or equivalent) is desirable;
• An appreciation of Naval Combat Systems;
• Experience in Test & Evaluation or Integration desirable.
• Logically analyse problems and resolve issues;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Able to clearly present technical issues to non-specialists;
• Self-motivated with initiative to work independently on a task.
QinetiQ offers an excellent salary and benefits package commensurate with a large international company some of which are highlighted below:
• Career development across a diverse International organisation
• 50% off meals at selected restaurants, 40% off cinema tickets
• Modern and collaborative working environment
• Pension - up to 10.5 % Company contribution
• Flexible Working , Social and family events
• Health Cash Plan, Health Screening, Employee Assistance 24/7
• Leading edge technology focus
• Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance at additional cost
• Childcare or After School Club, Annual Leave Purchase
• Personal Accident Insurance, Annual Travel Insurance
• Gym and sports facilities available at larger sites
• Payroll Giving and Volunteering - helping charities and local community.