Overall Department Direction
Energy & Marine (E&M) is a business unit within the Marine Division of Babcock International Group. E&M Engineering is a leading design consultancy providing naval architecture, marine, system engineering, electrical engineering design and project support services to the marine and defence markets worldwide. We have vast experience in engineering, construction, concept design and through life support for a wide range of front line naval and auxiliary support vessels.
The Division is expanding rapidly with complex, high-profile defence projects including Type 31 Frigate Design & Build Programme and the Successor Programme as well as providing engineering services to the UK Surface Ship and Submarine fleet. Also, with ongoing additional framework agreements, infrastructure projects, export markets and research & development projects. Therefore, we are looking to grow our existing team, building on a well-established foundation of over 700 staff across the UK. We are recruiting staff in all disciplines, to join us at Bristol, Devonport or Rosyth with flexible working arrangements and UK travel to meet project requirements.
Main Purpose of Role
Focusing of new ship design the main purpose of the role will be to manage, organise, and ensure efficient execution of the design and integration of the Platform Management System (IPMS), Control and Instrumentation Systems (C&I) and other ship alarm systems.
• Providing design support across the project team for IPMS and C&I integration.
- Have detailed knowledge of discrete data signals and sensors for platform systems
- Have detailed knowledge of serial data and protocols for platform systems
- Define automation, control and alert philosophies
- Integrate all platform data signals
- Have a detailed knowledge of Lloyds Register Naval Ship Rules
- Have a detailed understanding of Marine Engineering Systems
- Have a detailed understanding of Network Architectures
- Understand Software Safety functions/requirements and the appropriate assessments of software integrity
• Preparing and checking design documentation as required.
• Authorising design documentation.
• Preparing Design Reviews
• Management of design teams as assigned by Supervisor.
• Supervising, planning and controlling work to time, cost and quality.
• Undertake system requirements capture, concept design and modelling.
• Undertake the interpretation of a design requirement into an achievable design solution.
• To behave at all times in a manner commensurate with that of a professional engineer.
• Providing technical recommendations for selecting sub-contractors and/or suppliers.
• Providing liaison/management of technical aspects of work carried out by sub-contractors
• Liaising with Project to resolve Project issues.
• Liaising with Production to resolve manufacturing problems.
In addition you will belong to the overall E&M Electrical Engineering group and will have the opportunity to support other projects in different roles within your discipline with a focus on longer term career development.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
The Senior Engineer is required to have a high level of developed knowledge, the role is directly accountable for design development, and determines solutions to problems and issues within their specialist subject area.
Provides help and direction to less experienced team members to support both their effective working, and their development.
• Ideally degree qualified but HND/HNC level qualification in an engineering discipline with extensive experience in relevant field will be considered;
• Ideally you will be a member of a relevant institution (e.g. IEEE) and hold Chartered or Incorporated status (or be working towards);
• For security reasons the role will require a UK national, either already UK Security cleared or able for achieve UK SC clearance
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We’re committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You’ll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you have completed this you will be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please visit our website. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly. We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week’s special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please check our career website.