Overall Department Direction
Energy & Marine (E&M) is a business unit within the Marine Division of Babcock International Group. E&M Engineering is a leading design consultancy providing naval architecture, marine, system engineering, electrical engineering design and project support services to the marine and defence markets worldwide. We have vast experience in engineering, construction, concept design and through life support for a wide range of front line naval and auxiliary support vessels.
The Division is expanding rapidly with complex, high-profile defence projects including Type 31 Frigate Design & Build Programme and the Successor Programme as well as providing engineering services to the UK Surface Ship and Submarine fleet. Also, with ongoing additional framework agreements, infrastructure projects, export markets and research & development projects. Therefore, we are looking to grow our existing team, building on a well-established foundation of over 700 staff across the UK. We are recruiting staff in all disciplines, to join us at Bristol, Devonport or Rosyth with flexible working arrangements and UK travel to meet project requirements.
Main Purpose of Role
The role is within our current shipbuilding programme, with other shipbuilding and refit opportunities in the pipeline. The role is for an Engineering Manager to join a current shipbuilding project. Within this project the role will require to provide functional leadership for the delivery and governance all technical activities for Transversals, to include:-
• Managing a team of subject matter experts, providing guidance and governance for all deliverables
• A detailed understanding of Lloyds Naval Ship Rules applicable to transverse functions, with responsibility for approval of transversal requirements
• Significant experience of the following Transversal functions:
• Materials Management for safe implementation on RN Vessels. Ability to manage a team with detailed knowledge of REACH for the implementation of materials and Hong Kong Convention for managing hazardous materials
• Human Factors including HFER responsible for managing all RAIDO and chairing HFI working groups with the authority. Knowledge of JSP 192 and Def Stan 00-251
• Security – Management oversight of SQEP security team during design and build, with experience of JSP 440, JSP 604, Def Stan 08-050
• Manning – Preferably have served on RN Warships and be familiar with ships operational states and the implications on manning requirements
• Management of the ships standards database including development of the Naval Class Tailoring document and certification strategy
• Ensure the Adaptability requirements are managed and maintained through detailed design and build. Must have a clear understanding of the adaptability roles and the impact upon design
• Noise and vibration ensuring that equipment is correctly specified and ensuring that noise and vibration limits are not exceeded
• Environmental - Ensuring compliance against the contracted limits for the ships operating environment.
• Bridge and Bridge Console Arrangement. Ensuring that the bridge and console arrangements meet the Naval Ship rules for SNC notation and SOLAS regulations
In addition you will belong to the overall E&M engineering management team and will have the opportunity to support other projects in different roles within your discipline with a focus on longer term career development.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
An Engineering Manager will be capable of acting as Engineering lead for planning and managing a single project involving the management, coordination and integration of multi discipline tasks; identify and develop the strategic capabilities (people, processes, methods and tools) to meet project and task objectives.
The role is accountable for management, control and delivery of a single engineering project or a specific area within a larger project. At this level, projects feature the requirement to control and integrate multi discipline tasks and work packages. The role may be required to be a Technical / Design Authority, providing assurance for a system, project or range of assets.
The role will require demonstrable management experience.
• Incorporated Engineer (or equivalent) and Member of relevant institution
• Engineering degree in relevant engineering discipline, with significant demonstrable experience.
• For security reasons the role will require UK Security clearance, or ability to achieve UK SC clearance.
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We’re committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You’ll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you have completed this you will be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please visit our website. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly. We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week’s special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please check our career website.