Sparkworks is the part of future systems that develops disruptive capabilities. Its current focus is; RF Directed Energy Weapons (RF DEW), Laser Directed Energy Weapons (LDEW), Low Observability (LO) and Emerging Technologies. Its aim is to mature concepts using new and unusual tech, deliver prototypes, demonstrations and trials, ultimately delivering step changes in capability to the UK and friendly nations. A number of opportunities exists for System Design engineers who can employ their ability to see the bigger picture whilst understanding the detail to many and varied issues at all stages of the CADMID cycle. The RF & LO Classified studies role is to undertake a wide variety of systems tasks across a number of highly classified areas. What are we looking for?
We seek a systems engineer with the following attributes:
- Creativity, imagination & problem solving skills
- Adaptability & willingness to deal with fluidity in fast paced environments
- Capability and Trade Studies
- Early Life-cycle Systems / Concept Definition experience
- Record of successful technical work delivered individually and/or as part of a team
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and often from a blank sheet of paper
- Candidates must be willing to undertake the DV (Developed Vetting) clearance process once working at MBDA (dependent on the role)
- Proven delivery of technical programmes
- Ability to step back from day to day aspects, view the bigger picture context and navigate a successful course through complex and changing requirements
A candidate who additionally possesses a science background and a passion for technology would be particularly suited to the role. What’s in it for you?
- Interesting and exciting work, giving you the opportunity to work on some truly innovative and world-class technology
- Opportunities to get involved in projects through their full lifecycle, from bid to customer delivery
- Frequent opportunities to gain visibility for you and your work at the highest level both inside and outside the company
- Having a varied ‘day-job’
- Excellent training opportunities in a broad range of relevant subjects; achieved through formal training courses and/or self-managed learning
- Opportunities to move within the team to gain experience of new areas (technical, project management, systems engineering, trials)
- Opportunities to develop new skills through interaction with specialist areas within MBDA
The opportunities available are best suited to engineers with a systems background who are comfortable with a blank sheet of paper and rapid delivery of complex prototype systems. Within that the role can be scoped to best match individual’s strengths, interests and aspirations. RF / LO Classified Studies
The Sparkworks Systems team supports a diverse range of activities in the rapidly evolving RF and LO domains. Key responsibilities of the team include:
- Concept definition – Understanding the customer’s need and jointly maturing capability solutions which offer revolutionary advantages through the use of emerging RF and LO technologies.
- Capability & trade studies – Understanding how key technologies may perform in current and future scenarios.
What’s great about the team?
- Technology roadmapping & costing – Understand how key technologies can be developed, proven, manufactured and supported within the wider MBDA and MOD environments.
What would you get?
- Become part of a very diverse team of highly motivated scientists and engineers, who are genuinely interested in their fields
- Frequent exposure to high-profile, fast-paced projects
- Work on projects varying from a few weeks duration to several years
- Access to a large laboratory suite supported by state-of-the-art test equipment.
- Enjoy a high level of autonomy
- Have ready access to in-house experts to supplement knowledge
- Contribute to high-level VIP visits in support of senior management
- Opportunity to attend international conferences to keep abreast of developments in the field
- Undertaking this role you would be joining a dynamic, focussed team responsible for the development of our future business. The chance to exploit innovative and novel techniques in the development of the company’s future portfolio.
*Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements. MBDA is a proud member of Working Families – the UK’s work-life balance organisation.Follow MBDA on LinkedIn and Twitter.