Cambridge, UK | Full-time | Permanent
Closing date: 24 January 2021
Riverlane builds ground-breaking software to unleash the power of quantum computers. Backed by leading venture-capital funds and the University of Cambridge, we develop software that transforms quantum computers from experimental technology into commercial products.
You will join our cross-disciplinary team of software / hardware developers, mathematicians, quantum information theorists, computational chemists and physicists – all world experts in their fields. Our collaborative, close-knit team has a track record of delivering high-quality R&D across the full quantum stack. As a growing company, you will have the freedom to think independently and creatively, as well as contribute to Riverlane’s business development.
We offer a competitive salary, equity options, and relocation costs.
About the role
You will join our system-on-a-chip (SoC) team building Deltaflow.OS, a new operating system for quantum computers. Working closely with our quantum hardware partners across the UK, you will define how quantum devices are developed from experimental systems into programmable computers.
Given the ground-breaking nature of our products, we operate in a fast-moving and dynamic fashion: everyone in the Engineering and Application teams works with our Product team to define mid-term and long-term goals to best shape our products.
What you will do
Working as part of a flexible engineering team, you will collaborate in the development of all our software components: primarily Deltaruntime, Deltalanguage and Deltasimulator. As part of your role, you will:
- Develop low level drivers for CPUs and FPGAs
- Work with the software team to improve the quality of our next products
- Collaborate with the Product team to delineate internal and external goals
- Design high-performance and reusable solutions for our external hardware partners
You do not need a background in quantum computing as relevant training will be given.
What we need
- A PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related discipline from a top university OR industry equivalent experience
- Extensive experience (commercial or academic) with one or more of: embedded systems design, as many as possible low-level drivers e.g., SPI, I2C, PCIe, USB
- Proficient in test-driven development e.g., Python 3.x, C/C++
- Well-versed in continuous integration, Docker and cloud computing frameworks
- Advanced understanding of operating systems architecture, processes, threads and their Python/C++ implementation
- Interest in working in a multidisciplinary team
- Interest in developing internal and external products
- Ability to define goals and work independently
- A quality-focused individual with a passion for new technologies
- A person familiar with any Agile framework
- An interest in quantum computing
Even better if you have experience of…
- Line management or mentoring
- Supporting project managers / product owners in shaping a product
- Real Time Systems
- System / cyber-security
- GPU programming for computation
- High-performance computing (HPC)
- SystemC or another SoC simulation language
- Designing programming languages or DSLs
- Dataflow processing systems such as Niaid, Kafka, etc.
- Rust, Haskell
How to apply
Please upload a CV and covering letter via the Apply button. Your covering letter should explain why you are applying for the job and what skills and experience you can bring to the role.
If you have any queries, please contact email@example.com.
Everyone is welcome at Riverlane. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from eligible and suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender reassignment, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, or pregnancy and maternity/paternity.