Do you have concerns about climate change or energy affordability and wonder if there is a job out there that would allow you to have massive impact on these critical issues? Have you ever dreamed of working at a company that is filled with unusually passionate superstars and truly “walks-the-talk” around concepts like integrity, creating a true meritocracy, mutual respect, inclusion, and collaboration? If so, read on to see if Smart Wires might have the career opportunity that you have been dreaming about.
Smart Wires is currently looking for TWO full-time Customer Solutions Engineer - Power Systems based in either Dublin, Ireland, Berlin, Germany or Athens, Greece to support our General Manager Europe.
We are looking to recruit bright and enthusiastic Customer Solution Engineers - Power System to join our European Based teams. We have two roles, one for a professional engineer with at least 3-5 years’ experience and one for a graduate engineer with 0-2 years’ experience. We are primarily looking for candidates with experience working with Transmission or Distribution System Operators, consultancy companies, or OEMs in the high voltage equipment business. Professional Engineer candidates will have worked in either power system development, system operation, system protection, or with an OEM and will have experience carrying out power system analysis using standard industry software packages. Graduate Engineers will have spent some time interning with a transmission utility or equivalent and will be passionate about power systems.
Customer Solutions Engineers - Power Systems will collaboratively develop solutions with our customers. These candidates will partner with transmission planners, analysts, operators, and the sales team to quantify the value that Smart Wires solutions can provide to customers in Europe and to support the design of specific applications.
- Apply transmission system expertise to identify the value Smart Wires’ solutions can provide to our customers.
- Partner with the customers’ operations, planning, and design teams and Smart Wires’ resources to select the appropriate Smart Wires’ solution that meets the customer’s needs.
- Ensure the proposed solutions are the best available answer for our customers while faithfully representing Smart Wires’ technical capabilities.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Electronic Engineering, preferably with an emphasis in Power Systems
- Experienced engineers will have 3-5 years’ experience, ideally consisting of at least 1 - 2 years in a utility serving as an engineer supporting Transmission Operations or Transmission Planning (typical responsibilities building the cases, running load flow and other related studies, generating proposed solutions, communicating the results and reviewing the results generated by others); or at least 2 - 3 years of experience in a consultancy firm, demonstrating clear and consistent career progression, advancement or promotion.
- Engineering graduates will have specialized in electrical or electronic engineering and undertaken modules covering power system analysis and power system economics and have interned in a transmission utility
- Experience modelling power systems using industry standard software packages
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Ability to work with various internal and external technical stakeholders
- Innovative and creative problem solving skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in teams
- Ability to travel in Europe and to Smart Wires Global Headquarters in San Francisco
- Self-motivated and willing to take initiative
- Professional fluency in written and spoken English
Highly Desirable Skills and Experience
- Relevant Masters degree in Engineering or other related field preferred but not required.
- Native/bilingual fluency in a European language other than English
- Familiarity with the full range of transmission studies, including steady-state, generation deliverability, protection, stability, and production cost
- Experience supporting sales efforts, with a preference for individuals who interact directly with customers
- Competitive salary including health and pension benefits, bonus and equity-based incentives
- Flexible working arrangements including the option to work
- Flexible working hours
We have offices in Dublin, Berlin and Athens and the successful candidate can choose to work in one of these locations or from their own home in the UK where a number of our team are also based. Remote working in other locations in Europe may also be considered. It is important that all of our employees are available to travel around Europe to meet our customers and to spend time working together.
If you have been reading closely, you wouldn’t expect a typical recruiting process. And, we’d hate to disappoint you. To begin our rather unique recruiting process, please submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter which explains why you believe you would be the perfect fit for this job. Please note that your cover letter MUST specifically address each of the ideal qualifications described below. So, your first opportunity to impress us is...
- Measurable Successes – Academics is one place where people typically compete with others in a (mostly) objective and fair environment. For that reason, it is great to see candidates that excelled at some their education. But if you don’t have that, share something else that demonstrates your commitment to success, ideally competing against a group of other really motivated cohorts.
- Transmission Planning or Operations Experience – Everyone who applies will have the required experience. In order to help us make the right choice, tell us why your experience is something we can’t live without.
- It’s So Hard to Say Goodbye – Tell us about a boss or co-worker that was really disappointed when you left their team (either in a business or academic environment) and your best guess as to the key reasons that they were nearly in tears. What is it specifically about you that they miss?
- And of Course, People Like You – Relate something that gives us confidence that if we were on an elevator with you and the elevator malfunctioned between floors, that we wouldn’t hate being stuck there with you for more than three hours while the doors are being repaired by the elevator services team.
Smart Wires (www.smartwires.com) has developed an innovative technology that meaningfully improves the efficiency of today’s power grid. Driven by a world-class leadership team, Smart Wires works with utilities globally to address the unique challenges of the rapidly evolving electric system. We deploy our revolutionary technologies to “re-route power” around overloaded lines and address the most serious problems challenging our transmission system. Our solutions are offer a superior value proposition to all other solutions that a utility will consider and represent a complete paradigm shift for utilities that are finding it very difficult to build new lines in a world with so much uncertainty around the future needs of the grid. These utilities are under immense pressure to “get more out of their existing grids”, which is why Smart Wires has accumulated a true “Who’s Who” list of customers and forced the entire industry to take notice of this revolutionary technology solution.
We are carefully engineering our culture to attract stunning performers who thrive in a “Freedom and Responsibility” culture. Borrowing heavily from the cultural breakthroughs offered by Netflix, this culture rejects tight management of detailed tasks, focusing instead on hiring great people capable of managing important missions with fairly limited direction and supervision. We give even those with limited work experience the resources they need and believe that certain “superstars” are hard-wired to deliver nothing but truly excellent results. This is an atmosphere of rapid professional development and incredible learning. Our goal is to place superstars in every role so that we rely and trust each other to do our jobs brilliantly, knowing that this strategy ensures a fun, exciting workplace and nearly guarantees continued commercial success.
**Smart Wires is committed to diversity in our organization and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Smart Wires complies with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination and we especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of any skin color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities. **