What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK's ultimate deterrent - Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
Role - Senior Manufacturing Engineer - Production
Location - Reading/Basingstoke Area
Package - Competitive salary plus contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, additional benefits and an excellent work / life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available. We will consider candidates looking for full time or part time hours.
AWE has been named in the Sunday Times top 25 big companies to work for in 2019.
Supporting the UK's Continuous At Sea Deterrence programme and national nuclear security are at the heart of what we do, therefore working with us is both exciting and challenging - in fact it's everything you would expect from a company that supports national security.
We are looking for a Senior Manufacturing Engineer to be the focal point within the production function driving our existing and new change programmes. This is an extremely rare opportunity to be a focal point in making changes within AWE, preparing the business for the future.
You will develop and manage the strategic direction of the delivery and support of all technical aspects of new/current processes and/or equipment within the designated area of responsibility, ensuring all are underwritten and available on demand, driving change programme data to improve product flow. Lead, coach and develop a team of leaders and influencing others at specialism or functional level to create and deliver our operational plans. Accountable for ensuring direct reports (and their direct reports if applicable) are SQEP, competent and developed appropriately to meet both current and future objectives. Maintain and promote high personal standards in environment, safety, health, security and quality and be a great team player. Identification of all legislation and regulatory requirements associated with new and existing processes, ensuring compliance.
Act as Subject Matter Expert for tooling/equipment/process configuration documentation. Liaise with key stakeholders, project teams and management, ensuring appropriate communication of project/programme status and any circumstance reflecting upon safety, security, efficiency, quality, management or any other respective area of responsibility. Promote and sponsor operational excellence and drive all actions aimed at continuous process improvement. Provide a diverse and inclusive working environment that allows individuals to flourish and realise their potential
To be successful in this role you will need to have:
- Experience of working in a highly regulated environment with responsibility for ensuring the quality and timely delivery of engineering design and outputs which underpins continuous safe operations.
- Experience of working in a multi-discipline environment with responsibility for the engineering design and guardianship of high integrity assets through the whole life cycle.
- Experience of articulating technical complexities, able to direct work and team to meet the programme.
- Knowledge of legislation and standards relating to safety within engineering e.g. HSAWA, CDM and their application if needed.
- Professionally registered (Incorporated or equivalent with equivalent academic qualifications (HNC/HND).
This role will require you to:
- Ensure compliance with Company Assurance Environment, Safety, Health and Quality (ESH&Q) and statutory requirements.
- Ensure that the Engineering requirements are suitable, appropriate and support the safety case claims.
- Be the lead engineering representative, working on behalf of both the Senior Engineering and Maintenance Managers.
- Able to work across functions providing a supportive interface between the Facility, Safety Case Subject Matter Experts and Technical Authorities.
- Maintain oversight of asset modifications as they develop via routine reviews, manage the design intent and design information configuration using both internal and external resources.
- Capable of producing technical specifications and briefs.
- Support and maintain a culture of zero accidents or incidents relating to occupational and personal safety, security, health issues and environmental matters.
- Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to work in designated areas. Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role at AWE.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and people with disabilities.