Chief Editor, Communications Engineering (new journal launch)
Location: London, Berlin, New York or Shanghai
Closing date: February 22nd 2021
Springer Nature is looking for a Chief Editor to launch and set the overall editorial scope and strategy for a major new open-access engineering journal that spans all areas of research within engineering and the applied sciences - Communications Engineering. This journal will complement our existing Nature Portfolio open-access titles, Nature Communications and Scientific Reports, as well as the Communications journals including Communications Materials, Communications Physics and Communications Chemistry.
This is a high-profile role within a fast-growing and strategically vital area of the Springer Nature open-access portfolio. It offers the successful candidate a fantastic opportunity to truly shape the direction of a new journal as Chief Editor and act as the ambassador for the journal through engagement with the global engineering community. The successful candidate will report to the Editorial Director and will play a crucial role helping to set and monitor the editorial scope and strategy for the journal, maximizing the visibility, standing and quality of the journal and the impact of the content it publishes. You will recruit and manage an internal and external editorial team, and therefore the ability to form and lead a collaborative and focused team is crucial to the role and to ensuring the fast development of the journal.
Your core responsibilities include:
- Prepare a high-level strategic plan for the launch, growth and development of the new journal
- Determine and taking responsibility for the content published in the journal, ensuring growth in both quality and quantity
- Handle original research papers, and working closely with other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection and overseeing peer review
- Recruit and on-board a team of external editorial board members
- Liaising extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature Portfolio and with experts in the international engineering community
- Build and managing a team of editors; overseeing their day-to day workload and ensuring manuscripts are handled in accordance with journal policies
- Act as the main voice to represent the new journal within the external research communities, meeting regularly with authors, reviewers and external editorial board members to understand their priorities and needs
You should also have:
- A PhD (or equivalent) in an engineering or applied science subject, including robotics, civil, electrical, and mechanical engineering
- Demonstrable editorial experience is preferred
- Knowledge of processes and ethics in academic publishing, including detailed knowledge of open access publishing. Demonstrable previous editorial experience is preferred
- A thorough understanding of the engineering community and its needs
- A passion for science and a thirst to learn more. You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in research across all engineering disciplines
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken)
- Leadership and team-building qualities
This role is located in our London, Berlin, New York or Shanghai office. The position is offered on a permanent, full-time basis.
To Apply via the Apply button: Applicants should include a CV, a covering letter explaining their interest in the post and their preferred office of employment, and a vision statement for the journal of no more than 1,000 words. Closing date: 22nd February 2021.
Please apply using our online application system via the Apply button.