A growing order book within MBDA has created an increased workload for our state of the art manufacturing facility at Bolton. To establish and maintain production rates across the product range we require strong first line support from the design teams in order to address issues as they occur.
As such, a great opportunity has arisen for an Electronics Design Team Leader to join the Group in Bolton to provide technical and functional leadership, to support production activities and to act as an interface between the design teams in Stevenage and manufacturing in Bolton.What are we looking for?
High performing teams need high performing and competent individuals. To be suitable for this role, individuals will be able to demonstrate a number of the following attributes:
- Likely to be degree / HND qualified in electronics or a closely related subject (other relevant electronics design/manufacture experience may be considered).
- Significant and proven experience in the design of electronics, preferably in the defence industry (but not essential).
- Proven experience of leading a small engineering team is essential. The desire to take the lead and develop both your own and the team’s careers is a crucial aspect of the role, as is the ability to think ahead and plan for you and your team’s future. Support in achieving this will be provided at a group and company level.
- The ability to, and be prepared to, work autonomously if needed, lead the delivery of your work assignments and those of others and actively engage with partners to ensure successful delivery of your outputs.
- The pro-activeness, motivation, ability and resourcefulness to resolve issues and generate solutions to problems whilst under time pressure. Experience in supporting manufacturing and resolving manufacturing issues is an advantage
- Proven and significant experience of partner management, developing people and their skills and forward planning for the team and its activities.
- Have excellent verbal communication, negotiation, and influencing skills and have the capability to write clear and concise engineering documentation.
: This role requires reasonable travel in the UK and could involve some travel overseas in Europe (subject to COVID-19 restrictions).What’s in it for you!
This role provides an outstanding opportunity to bring together the design and production areas to ease the transition of a product into production. The scope to learn and enhance your capabilities and understanding of both environments is a rare opportunity. You will have plenty of scope to interface and influence at all levels of the organisation and to improve the relationship between design and manufacturing especially in ensuring that our designs are robust and contain the features vital to improve manufacturability and testability.
You will get
- The opportunity to work on some of the most advanced engineering products in the sector
- The opportunity to develop and grow into broader engineering or management fields
- The ability to become a leading expert in specialist fields
- A broad and varied technology and skill base
- A broad network of contacts within the defence industry
- The opportunity to travel to other European and non-European countries
- The opportunity to lead a small team to deliver the right solutions to our internal and external customers.
*Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.The Role
This role encompasses all aspects of supporting the transition of a product design into production. The role will require you to provide technical input and guidance to a small team of electronics design engineers as well as functional team leadership and assistance to the Group Lead.
- You will play a crucial role in leading the engagement and development of the relationship between the design and manufacturing teams.
- The role will demand that you spend time liaising with the design and test systems teams at Stevenage in order to understand the design and associated test regime and equipment and with the manufacturing teams at Bolton to understand the specific product manufacturing processes.
- With the knowledge acquired you and your team will provide a first line of advice to the manufacturing teams when problems occur, determining whether the problem is a Design, Test System and/or Manufacturing related fault and propose and implement appropriate solutions.
- Over time, you will seek to influence the design population at Stevenage to produce designs that are more robust from a Design for Manufacture/Design for Test perspective and more mature as they enter the production environment, ensuring that the production facility is able to get to full rate as quickly as possible.
The production design support group consists of two teams, (product and test equipment), of multi-skilled, interdependent, highly capable, and committed individuals. They are the crucial link between design and manufacturing and must use all of their experience, technical and personal capabilities to interface to both areas of the business, where time and cost pressures can often cause rifts in the interface that must be carefully handled for success. The team is friendly, supportive and encouraging and is respected throughout the manufacturing and design organisations.
- A small team working in a larger group creates a fantastic local atmosphere with a good level of support and challenge
- You will be moving into a state of the art, bespoke production facility with a modern environment and the opportunity to develop new tools, techniques and processes
- A group working within a leading company, offers all the benefits that a large company can bring. Scope for development, competitive benefits package, good local support, and a great atmosphere.