AWE are seeking an experienced, innovative and dedicated Senior Network Engineer to support and maintain AWE's Firewall and Network Systems. Each day offers a new challenge and learning opportunity.
Location - Reading area
Package - Competitive subject to skills and experience
AWE offer a competitive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, development and training, plus an excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependant). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available. We welcome applications from candidates looking for full and part time hours.
As a Senior Network Engineer, you will be employed to undertake a defined range of Network engineering design, development, technical documentation & test activities for BAU and project work.
This role will provide you with the opportunity to broaden your knowledge. It will offer challenges and change and allow you to work on a broad range of IT systems and infrastructure products.
The Senior Network Engineer contributes towards ensuring that the capacity, reliability and availability of network services meet the requirements of the organisation.
You will also assist with the resolution of client-based issues, this will require taking ownership of such cases from the outset all the way through to resolution.
This role does involve covering several sites mainly around the UK, but there is also the opportunity to travel abroad when required.
The role will include:
- Reviewing, on a daily basis, the status of a various networks, logging incidents where appropriate.
- Escalating, in advance, to the Network Manager any likely breaches of agreed deadlines.
- As the technical lead within the team you will be the point of escalation for any technical issues and queries.
- Working with customers, project leads, 3rd parties and other stakeholders to discuss technical service issues assisting with the resolution of said issues.
- Woking with project leads to assist with design, development and testing of project-based work.
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge on network technologies.
- Working to assist with capacity & availability management of various networks.
- Problem Solving: investigate and resolve problems for services within their own area of responsibility.
- Provisioning network services and devices where appropriate.
- Knowledge of LAN/WAN switching and routing implementation and operation with specific knowledge of VLAN, VPN and MPLS networking.
- Knowledge of QoS and LAN traffic management techniques.
- Knowledge of network infrastructure, TCP/IP, networking and information system security principles, practices and technologies.
- Understanding of core Internet routing protocols and services.
- Knowledge of intrusion detection systems and intrusion prevention system technology.
- Knowledge of protocols, especially OSPF and 802.1X
- Experience in LAN traffic and WAN bandwidth monitoring and Network Management tools such as Solarwinds.
- Experience of the following would be advantageous:
- Juniper (particularly EX, SRX and QFX platforms)
- Load balancers
- Pulse Security Appliances
- Efficient IP IPAM (DHCP)
- Splunk Core
- Windows Servers 2012-2019
- NPS Server (Radius)
To be considered for this position, we are looking for candidates who have the following skills, qualifications and experience:
- Experience of support in a large and complex network environment at a Senior network engineering level
- Experience / certification with at least one of the major network vendors.
- Ability to operate under pressure, meet tight deadlines and influence decisions.
- Good technical investigation and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in IT service management and delivery based on ITIL service management standards.
- Ideally experience of working in a secure environment.
- Data Centre experience advantageous.
- Working to high personal standards in environment, safety, health, security and quality and be a great team player.
- Good communicator (Written and oral) with sound facilitation skills that can be related to colleagues of all levels including contractors.
- Willingness to work flexibly and to occasionally work evenings and weekends where exceptional circumstances require it.
- On call roster duties will be required.