RootWave (Ubiqutek) is reducing the use of chemical herbicides in our environment by using electricity to kill weeds. Our technology is the only scalable and sustainable alternative to herbicides which are increasingly under pressure from natural resistance and government regulation.
RootWave has recently received venture investment and is looking to rapidly grow its team. We are looking for a Electrical Systems Engineer to support the design of electrical weed control equipment. This is a product development role, you will be involved in the development of systems ranging from hand held products to large scale agricultural equipment. Typically, you might be an Electrical Engineer by training who’s evolved into a Systems Engineer, whilst keen to remain hands on as an Electrical Engineer.
We take pride in building an innovative company that will improve the environment. We offer a working environment that is diverse, inclusive, energetic and challenging. We welcome professionals from all backgrounds with the drive, motivation and tenacity to get the job done. If this sounds like you, we look forward to hearing from you.
- Develop product system design and product electrical safety strategy and draw up associated documentation;
- Design electrical safety systems and means of protection. To includes consideration of the safety impact of/to infrastructure that may be present in the product operating environments;
- Design electrical control panels and contribution to design of control system user interfaces;
- Specification of electrical components such as: power supplies, contactors, safety relays, fuses, circuit breakers, busbars, isolators, HMI components and other electrical control components;
- Design the specification of wiring harnesses and cables;
- Specification of tools and equipment that may be required for the development or manufacture of the product electrical systems;
- Prototype testing;
- Contribution to product risk assessment activities;
- Work with compliance team to ensure requirements are met.
Skills and Expertise
- 12 V DC systems, 50 V DC high current battery systems, 240 V single phase and 415 V 3 phase systems (including balancing of phases), working with power > 10 kW and voltages >5 kV;
- Risk management including design FMEA;
- Safety circuits including safety relays, emergency stops, interlocks;
- Design and verification to meet requirements of safety standards;
- Insulation coordination;
- Systems engineering;
- Design and verification of high power systems for mobile products;
- MS office applications;
- Design for assembly;
- Design for cost;
- Beneficial: high frequency systems >10kHz, power 250 kW, EMC, working with voltages up to 20 kV, familiarity with EN 61439 series.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in electrical engineering;
- Ideally 8 years’ experience overall, including at least 2 years in systems engineering role;
- Potential industries for experience include rail, marine and mining.
- Confident person, excellent communicator, able to lead and influence;
- Able to collaborate effectively with engineers in other disciplines, and facilitate decision making on safety and enabling performance;
- Able to work on multiple projects simultaneously;
- Open minded, solution focussed;
- Personable, dynamic, proactive, flexible individual suited to working in a start-up environment;
- Able to travel internationally to support customer evaluations in other countries;
- Key competencies: problem solving, attention to detail, working under pressure, making effective decisions, communication.
- Permanent full-time role;
- Competitive salary;
- Private medical cover;
- Share options on joining;
- Mobile phone and laptop provided;
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays.