Magnet Engineer / Physicist
Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Oxfordshire
Salary £33,963 - £59,245 dependent upon qualifications and experience
Full time / Flexible hours considered
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron; a huge scientific facility which accelerates electrons through a chain of three accelerators to produce very intense beams of X-rays, infrared and ultraviolet light. Our scientists use the light to study a vast range of subject matter, from new medicines and treatments for disease to innovative engineering and cutting-edge technology.
Diamond is one of the most advanced scientific facilities in the world, and its pioneering capabilities and talented staff are helping to keep the UK at the forefront of scientific research.
About The Role
Diamond is planning a major upgrade of the facility, known as Diamond-II, which will replace the current electron storage ring with an even more brilliant light source at a higher energy. We now have an opportunity for a magnet engineer/physicist or senior magnet engineer/physicist to design, procure and test the many different types of magnets (electromagnets, permanent magnets and pulsed magnets) that will be needed.
Responsibilities will include:
- Carrying out 2D and 3D magnetic designs of high quality accelerator magnets, covering the full range of d.c., a.c. and pulsed magnets, both permanent magnet and electromagnet.
- Collaborating / leading interactions with the Accelerator Physics Group and Engineering Group staff to ensure magnet designs achieve the required specification and field quality, and can be integrated into the accelerator and positioned to very high accuracy.
- Assisting in / responsibility for creating detailed magnetic / mechanical / electrical procurement specifications.
- Assisting in / responsibility for the supervision of procurement contracts for the supply of magnets.
- Assisting in / responsibility for the set-up, operation and maintenance of high precision magnetic measurement systems.
- Undertaking magnetic measurement of accelerator magnets and analysis of data to assess field quality.
- Ensuring Diamond’s magnet designs and production methods are state-of-the art, by keeping abreast of worldwide developments in magnet technology.
Successful applicants will be considered as either a Magnet Engineer / Physicist or a Senior Magnet Engineer / Physicist depending on the strength of your knowledge, skills and experience.
You will be qualified to degree level in Physics, Engineering or another relevant discipline, with PhD qualified candidates desirable.
You will be highly experienced in the field of magnet design, construction and testing, preferably of accelerator magnets, with good knowledge of electromagnetism.
You will also demonstrate experience of 2D and 3D magnet design using commercial software, design and testing of high quality accelerator magnets, and magnetic measurement systems and data analysis.
To be considered for the senior role you will also demonstrate significant experience of magnet production techniques as well as supervising procurement contracts for high quality accelerator magnets from industry.
You will display excellent communication and interpersonal skills to interact effectively with staff at all levels
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a positive work/life balance. This includes 25 days annual leave plus 13 days of statutory and company holidays, along with flexible working hours and an excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on site including a nursery, cafes, a restaurant and sports and leisure facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Please use the online application process to apply and tell us why you believe you are suitable for this role.
The closing date for applications is 28th February 2021 however, we encourage early applications as some candidates may be interviewed before this date.