At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
In the Experimental Physics Department (EP), ATLAS Data Processing Group (ADP), you will develop data analysis software tools and analysis framework for the ATLAS Analysis Model update for Run-3 and participate in the definition and development of the analysis strategy for HL-LHC and beyond. You will introduce new methods for open data access, analysis preservation and reinterpretation. You will develop new data science and machine learning techniques for data processing and analysis. CERN, take part!
- Design and develop new software tools and data analysis frameworks for offline data analysis using the novel ATLAS Run-3 analysis formats.
- Take a leading role in defining and implementing the ATLAS open data strategy and the experiments approach to analysis preservation and reinterpretation, including in particular approaches like RECAST und REANA.
- Build up a data science activity and help develop an infrastructure to study and apply machine learning and data science techniques, including modern notebook based data analysis infrastructures.
- Work with students and fellows on the application of novel data science and machine learning techniques for data processing and physics analysis.
PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of experimental physics or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in High Energy Physics analysis frameworks, with a deep knowledge of the building and distribution tools used within these frameworks.
- Extensive hands-on experience in the development and design of software tools for data access and analysis preservation.
- Extensive experience in C++ programming and in the usage of modern data science software tools and infrastructures.
- Hands-on experience with deep learning frameworks and techniques.
- Conceptualising, designing and developing user experiences and interfaces
- Identification and selection of relevant emerging ICT technologies
- Development of application software, in particular for data analysis and analysis preservation
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: (C++, Python), including modern data science software frameworks
- Solving problems: being open to original ideas and creative options by which to address issues; continually driving change by seeking new ways to improve outcomes; addressing complex problems by breaking them down into manageable components
- Achieving results: following through on new ideas and innovations; planning and implementing application; delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; sharing and letting others participate in own work/project; encouraging team development
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations; instigating and promoting change as an opportunity for organisational development
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- Ability to understand and speak French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 08.03.2021 until 12:00 pm CET time.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (2 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EP-ADP-OS-2021-19-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Applied Physicist
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further