At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Join CERN to work on the geodesy for CERN future colliders!
The Geodetic Metrology Group within the Beams Department provides metrology and alignment for components installed in the accelerators, their beam transfer lines and the physics experiments throughout the CERN complex. It also handles all the related geodetic aspects.
A feasibility study has been launched for a Future Circular Collider (FCC) and will integrate a feasibility statement of a 100 km underground tunnel, high-risk site investigations and host-state related processes. Geodetic aspects are of high relevance for such a study. Collaborations have been put in place with the Institute of Geodesy and Photogrammetry of ETH Zürich, with the Federal Office of Topography Swisstopo, with the institute of Territorial Engineering of the school of management and engineering Vaud (HEIG-VD) and with the Institut Géographique National (IGN). The objectives of such collaborations (2021-2025) are to study the determination of a high-precision gravity field model for the FCC area and to establish the necessary geodetic reference frames and the geodetic infrastructure.
As a Geodetic Engineer in the BE-GM Group, with the support and guidance of the CERN experts, you will be in charge of:
- The liaison between the collaborations established on geodetic aspects and CERN. You will prepare and transfer information/descriptions of CERN surveying activities as well as existing geodetic facilities, instruments and datasets. You will validate the corresponding reports, prepare the measurement campaigns, coordinate the day to day management of these campaigns, control the calculations, perform the corresponding data analyses, and oversee their implementation in the appropriate CERN tools;
- The invitations to tender for the construction of a geodetic reference network at the surface and its accurate determination. This includes the writing of the tender documents, the follow-up of the contract, the control and analysis of the results, their insertion in the CERN infrastructure and data processing system;
- The calculations and studies on FCC footprint scenarios, position and orientation of machines, achievable precision in the transfer and orientation from surface to underground. You will be involved in the determination of the impact of the configurations of the surface sites.
- You will ensure that the FCC civil engineering team will have the correct documentation regarding the reference systems employed for the FCC project for all its invitations to tenders and associated documents, ensure they have access to any geodetic metrology tools required, control position and orientation parameters in those documents;
- You will contribute to any specifications regarding geodesy, or surveying, methods and the precision to be achieved.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of geodesy, geomatics, engineering surveying, topography. or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in transforming data between geodetic reference systems for large scale civil engineering projects, in establishing parameters of geodetic reference systems and in implementing/defining their insertion in data processing tools;
- Proven experience with high accuracy instruments and methods used in geodetic measurement campaigns;
- Demonstrated experience of making astronomical measurements, high precision levelling measurements, absolute and relative gravimetric measurements, geodetic GNSS measurements, and their analysis;
- Proven experience with least squares adjustment algorithms and statistical analysis techniques to process geodetic measurements;
- Proven experience of the supervision of survey teams and in the specification and follow-up of contracts;
- Initial experience in the development of gravity fields models;
- Experience for preparing specifications for the implementation of software algorithms, or practical experience with object-oriented programming languages (more specifically with modern C++ and design patterns), would be a real asset;
- Some experience in the implementation of surface geodetic networks for projects over a large-scale would-be a plus;
- Experience working with GIS systems (more particularly Esri ArcGIS) would be useful.
- Project management: organization and coordination with external stakeholders of small/medium geodetic projects;
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: MATLAB, Python, C++;
- Data transformation between geodetic reference systems, and map projections, and the determination of the parameters of these systems;
- Development of mathematical models and algorithms for geodetic data processing and analysis;
- Geodetic measurements processing for the determination of network coordinates using least square software;
- Knowledge of high-precision geodetic methods and instrumentation, and their application;
- Organization of the activities of survey field teams: supervision of their field activities and identification of measurements that need to be controlled.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises; taking responsibility for own actions and decisions; readily admitting to mistakes.
- Achieving results: defining clear objectives, milestones and deliverables before initiating work/ project; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
- Building relationships: showing courtesy and consideration in dealings with others; showing a sincere interest in the concerns and perspectives of others; accepting others in a non-judgemental way and taking their point of view into account.
- Communicating effectively: providing others with timely information; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented; demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; actively participating in the implementation of new processes and technologies.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, as well as ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts, or a willingness to rapidly acquire it.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 26.03.2021 by 12:00 PM CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work in radiation areas may be required in the future depending on the need of the Organization.
- Interventions in underground installations may be required in the future depending on the need of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: BE-GM-2021-24-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer