About the Role
Is protecting the people of the UK and preventing conflict your utmost priority? Do you have the drive and passion to work on one of the country’s most exciting up and coming Defence projects? Would you pride yourself on using your innovation and talent at the forefront of cutting edge developments?
If you have a Combat Systems Engineering background with extensive expertise in the Maritime Domain, then Lockheed Martin needs you.
Working within the Rotary Mission Systems Department, you will have the unique opportunity to work with advanced maritime system integration projects including Laser Directed Energy Weapons and integrated air & missile defence systems, at the forefront of the projects.
As part of this critical role, you must excel at establishing relationships and shaping solutions. You will contribute to developing System Engineering activities including identification activities, operational analysis and design studies, bid support and programme performance (design, development, production, delivery and follow-on support and enhancements).
Technology experience in lasers, sensors and missile technologies is not essential however you must have the ability to be able to bring technologies together and be fully conversational around the maritime combat system domain, liaising with customers and speaking to specialists. If you have experience in guided or ballistic missiles, launch systems, radar, sonar, or other weapons/combat systems, then please do not hesitate to apply.
Duties will include:
- Generation of common, tailored technical solutions for programmes and opportunities within the domain, and alignment with business and commercial elements of solutions.
- Definition and leadership of Operational Analysis (OA) activities, including definition of OA problems, creation/integration of OA toolsets, conduct of modelling and exploration of result to determine and improve system performance and behaviour.
- Leadership of multi-disciplined technical staff assigned across the domain, including permanently-assigned staff and staff shared with other activities.
- Generation of White Papers, Requests for Information/Proposal responses, and delivery of appropriate external events such as demonstrations, conference exhibitions and presentations.
- Generation of Should-Costs, estimates, resource and staffing requirements, nominal schedules, opportunity qualification activities, competitive analysis.
- Creating alignment between opportunities and existing and planned LM products, including reach-back to business units in the US and other international locations for product identification and influencing.
- Providing support to capture events including strategy development, competitive analysis and internal/independent reviews.
- Analyse business & market strategies and developing product/technology roadmap(s) for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Support Business Development and Capture teams in order to increase contract growth and win new business
- Plan and deliver company-funded research and development and Capital projects to align with business goals.
- Providing visibility of activities to stakeholders.
- Development of external relationships including across Lockheed Martin, customer acquisition / integration / support authorities, users, other businesses, universities and lab engagements, including securing third party investments.
Required skills, qualifications and experience
- Proven experience with and leadership of successful design, implementation, integration, test, installation and acceptance of Maritime Combat Systems.
- Business-focused attitude and ability to synthesize business and contractual needs and requirements into effective system solution architectures within agreed technical, schedule and cost constraints.
- Experience of supporting Business Development and Capture Teams in pursuit of new opportunities including operational analysis, preliminary solution definition, solution design and preparation and delivery of proposal material including schedule and cost estimates.
- Able to support Systems Engineering tasking - requirements analysis, decomposition, allocation, systems integration and testing.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with an ability to convey complex data in a clear and concise manner to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Working knowledge of current Defence Standards as applicable to the maritime combat systems domain.
Desired skills, qualifications and experience
- Enthusiastic self-starter with the ability to work with all levels of engineering, programme management and business leadership.
- Familiarity with maritime air defence systems (hardkill and softkill) and Threat Evaluation and Weapon Allocation protocols.
- Familiarity with Directed Energy Weapons.
- Ability to interpret current practices and processes, recommend improvements where necessary and drive change.
- Able to develop Technology Roadmaps and conduct assessment of existing Systems, modified or new Systems, and embodiment of COTS/MOTS Systems.
- Able to conduct internal and customer-funded Research and Development studies.
- Experience of Model Based Engineering and Digital Development Environments
- Ability to plan and control own work and that of assigned staff.
- Able to demonstrate strong technical leadership within a busy environment whilst providing guidance and mentoring to other engineers