Senior Manager Engineering
Location - Reading / Basingstoke Area
Salary - £56,000 - £74,000 dependent on experience plus contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, additional benefits and an excellent work / life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available. We will consider candidates looking for full time or part time hours.
AWE has been named in the Sunday Times top 25 big companies to work for in 2019.
This senior role is to provide leadership and management of a professional engineering service in support of our CASD (continuous at sea deterrent) programme and AWE's strategic goals.
We are looking for a senior manager to be a focal point for advice, information and expertise about policy, best practice, engineering knowledge and standards. You will provide due governance and management to meet relevant Nuclear Licence conditions, safety codes and quality standards.
As part of this role you will:
- As a line manager, be accountable for the mentoring, development, reporting and conduct of staff in their reporting chain
- Provide improvement mechanisms based on current operating
- Provide leadership and optimise the delivery of engineering service
- Support and maintain a culture of zero accidents or incidents relating to occupational and personal safety, security, health issues and environmental matters
- The ideal candidate will be at ease articulating technical complexities, able to chair technical and general meetings and direct work to meet the programme.
- To be successful in this role you should have:
- Previous experience of working in a technical environment with responsibility for the engineering lifecycle
- Knowledge of legislation and standards relating to safety within engineering e.g. HSAWA, CDM and their application if needed
- Led multi-discipline groups
- Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to work in designated areas.
To be successful in this role you will need to have:
- Engineering Degree (Hons)
- Professionally registered (Fellow, Chartered, Incorporated or equivalent with equivalent academic qualifications (HNC/HND)
- Desirable- Degree in an engineering discipline or a Chartered Engineer
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.