At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes forward the limits of technology to provide innovative research tools to the physics and engineering worldwide community. Within the cooling and ventilation (CV) group of the EN department, you will join the Injectors Section (INJ), which is in charge of the maintenance, operation, performance of minor works for cooling & ventilation installations in the injectors complex and for the water treatment plants in all complexes.
Are you a qualified and proactive technician specialized in cooling and ventilation systems, willing to contribute to a unique working environment at the heart of one of the world's most complex and exciting scientific experiments? Then, this opportunity is for you - join the largest particle physics research laboratory in the world. CERN, take part!
As Technician in the INJ Section, you will take part in the operation, maintenance and modification works of cooling and ventilation plants, in particular of the ones related to the water treatment installations.
- Plan (by using the CMMS system), coordinate, supervise, check and perform preventive and corrective maintenance activities on cooling and ventilation plant and, in particular on the water treatment installations;
- Perform operation and maintenance activities to ensure an appropriate run of the water treatment plants;
- Regularly liaise with users for all matters related to the water treatment;
- Propose and define the most appropriate solution for the water treatment in case of new system, modification or renovation works;
- Technically coordinate contractors’ maintenance and installation work in compliance with contractual clauses and technical standards;
- Contribute to projects from the design phase until test and commissioning of the plants;
- Write up technical reports and notes;
- Ensuring that the technical documentation is kept up-to-date and compliant with the quality standards;
- Ensure the respect of safety rules for all interventions;
- Participate to the stand-by service.
Technical certificate or general secondary education in the field of chemistry or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in maintenance, operation and installation work on water treatment plants;
- Experience in the technical coordination of external contractors;
- Experience in the use of CMMS tools;
- Experience in low voltage electrical system;
- Initial experience in compressed air plants.
- Operation and maintenance of cooling water systems: including design and construction for water treatment plants as well as for compressed air stations, HVAC plants and networks;
- Contract management: in particular technical supervision of contracts;
- Organisation, planning and control: coordination of activities involving different technical fields (electricity, civil engineering, heavy handling etc.);
- Operation and maintenance of electromechanical equipment and systems: lV network and switchboards.
- Achieving Results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations Having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind;
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting;
- Working in Teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities;
- Demonstrating Flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects; Adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements;
- Solving Problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them Adopting a pragmatic approach; understanding the value of adopting generic rather than gold -plated' technical solutions;
- Communicating Effectively: providing others with timely information Ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented;
Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical specifications and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages and an undertaking to acquire the other language rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 25.04.2021 at 12pm CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EN-CV-INJ-2020-127-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Technician