AWE plays a crucial role in nuclear defence, providing the warheads for the UK's nuclear deterrent. What we do is unique and so are the people who work here. We are currently recruiting for a new role, Director of Engineering, to lead and manage our multi-disciplinary teams responsible for all the engineering aspects of the AWE Programmes.
Closing date: 16th April 2021
Location: Reading/Basingstoke area
Salary: AWE offers a competitive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent). A salary sacrifice scheme and other associated benefits which you would expect from a senior leadership role are also available. We will consider candidates looking for full time or part time hours.
The role of Director Engineering reports to the Executive Director Engineering and Science Resourcing. This will be a pivotal role combining leadership with delivery of strategic goals and objectives. You will need gravitas and resilience to engage with and influence those at the most senior levels to deliver our mission.
Whilst we are looking for candidates with a strong technical background, this role will require an exemplary people leader who can put our values of Pride, Innovation, Trust and Excellence at the heart of what they do. Experience working in Nuclear or a highly regulated industry would be preferred.
We will expect candidates to:
- Provide inspirational leadership to a team with diverse skills and experience and build a high performing team
- Develop and optimise the engineering resource capability to ensure that competency and skills are maintained to deliver current and future programme needs
- Develop and deploy effective Company policies, strategies and processes in order to maintain the License to Operate, safely deliver contract requirements, rebuild capability and continuously improve the Engineering Function business performance through an ethical, professional one-company culture
- Develop national and international recognition for the Engineering function and applicable programmes to leverage opportunities in collaborations with stakeholders, further enhance AWEs engineering reputation and provide confidence to customers
- Effectively discharge duties as a Licence Condition Owner
- Demonstrate strong business and commercial acumen
- Act as an ambassador for AWE demonstrating excellent interpersonal, engagement and presentation skills
- Have a track record in a leadership position within a relevant regulated/quality focussed engineering environment
- Have experience operating confidently at a strategic level and to assimilate and analyse information quickly in order to assess and debate complex issues at the highest level
All candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role, be prepared to travel in both UK and abroad and be willing and able to work in designated areas of AWE.