NIBSC – Controls Engineering Manager
We are currently looking for an experienced Controls Engineering Manager to join our motivated Building Management Systems (BMS) team within the Infrastructure and Operations (IOPS) division.
This is a full time opportunity, on a 24 month fixed term contract basis.
Who are we?
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency enhance and improve the health of millions of people every day through the effective regulation of medicines and medical devices, underpinned by science and research.
NIBSC is a global leader in the characterisation, standardisation and control of biological medicines. NIBSC plays a major role in assuring the quality of biological medicines worldwide through the provision of biological reference materials, by testing products and carrying out research. Our expert scientists also provide advice on a routine basis and in response to emergencies.
What’s the role?
The post will be the responsible for managing the Building Management Systems (BMS) team to ensure the provision of building management systems control service to ensure that the South Mimms Site consisting of general and containment laboratories, production filling area, cold rooms and offices functions in compliance with the relevant legalisation and is part of the Maintenance Team supporting the SMS.
- Manage the BMS team to ensure that the engineering systems for the SMS site are maintained effectively. Focus on supporting the specialist areas supporting the relevant divisions in delivering the agency’s strategic objectives and work within the requirements of the ISO 9001 Quality Management System.
- Responsible for engineering all aspects of Trend BMS software and hardware including design and installation of projects, maintenance of existing systems.
- Fault finding and problem solving on complex control systems using Trend 963 software and panel documents.
- Specialist knowledge of environmental monitoring, legislation and guidance including pressure cascades, air change and flow rates, HEPA filter checks (DOP testing, pressure drops, and filter types) for containment and clean room areas, including the testing, monitoring, and control of such areas.
- Thorough understanding of all building services systems Air Handling Units (AHUs), Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC), Boilers and the way they interact with the BMS
Who are we looking for?
Our successful candidate will:
- Have expert knowledge in trend BMS control systems, including knowledge of diagnostics and repairs of complex building services systems.
- Hold an engineering degree is desirable (or equivalent experience) with expert knowledge in production, cleanrooms, containment laboratories ideally in pharmaceutical or hospital building management department
- Have demonstrable experience in managing a team’s activities and procedures to ensure compliance to a Quality Management System
- Display extensive experience in a Maintenance or Building Services environment
- Have competence to work safely in LV electrical panels
- Work with others to identify areas for improvement and simplify processes to use fewer resources
If you would like to find out more about this fantastic opportunity, please read our Job Description and Person Specification!
Please note: The job description may not open in some internet browsers. Please use Chrome or Microsoft Edge. If you have any issue viewing the job description, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The selection process:
We use the Civil Service Success Profiles to assess our candidates, find out more here.
- Online application form, including questions based on the Behaviour, Experience and Technical Success Profiles. Please ensure all application questions are completed in full; your application may not be considered if any responses are left blank. Our applications are CV blind, and our Hiring Managers will not be able to access your CV when reviewing your application.
- Interview, which can include questions based on the Behaviour, Experience, Technical and Strengths Success Profiles.
Applicants are assessed on whether they meet any mandatory requirements as well as the necessary skills and experience for the role. Applications are scored based on the competency-based answers provided- ensure you have read these thoroughly and allow sufficient time. You can view the competencies for this role in the job description.
If you require any disability related adjustments at any point during the process, please contact email@example.com as soon as possible.
Closing date: Monday 12th April
If you need assistance applying for this role or have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates will be subject to UK immigration requirements as well as Civil Service nationality rules. Further information on whether you are able to apply is available here.
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check. People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
In accordance with the Civil Service Commissioners’ Recruitment Principles our recruitment and selection processes are underpinned by the requirement of selection for appointment on the basis of merit by a fair and open competition. If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, you should firstly contact Mira Mepa, Head of Recruitment and Operations, Mira.Mepa@mhra.gov.uk.
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive, you can contact the Civil Service Commission at:civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk
Civil Service Commission
1 Horse Guards Road