With the exciting news that AWE is transferring back into government ownership, becoming an Arms' Length Body of the MOD, there is now a legal requirement to have a Data Protection Officer within the business.
We are recruiting a Data Protection Officer to act as the DPO for AWE under the UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). This role will ensure AWE complies with the GDPR and other applicable data protection legislation by ensuring effective systems and controls are in place.
This is a senior level role within AWE, therefore you should have relevant experience reporting to Executive Board Members. The role will also require a good level of prior experience of ensuring compliance with data protection legislation, and someone from a Legal, Charitable or Public Sector background would be highly desirable.
This new position within AWE would suit someone who is looking to work part time or flexible hours, however we would also accommodate someone into a full time position. The role will be based on site at Aldermaston, Berkshire with the ability to work from home when required.
The position comes with a senior level package including a competitive basic salary, bonus scheme, car allowance, market leading pension, c.25 days annual leave plus bank holidays, 9 day working fortnight and a salary sacrifice benefit scheme, which incorporates private medical, dental etc.
* Inform & advise the Company of its obligations under the GDPR & other applicable data protection legislation.
* Act as AWE's focal point for data protection activities and foster a good data protection culture within AWE.
* Be the intermediary between relevant stakeholders, including data subjects, and business units within AWE.
* Act as the contact point for the ICO.
* Monitor compliance with the GDPR & other applicable data protection legislation & AWE's data protection policies.
* Develop & manage AWE's data protection & data privacy strategy.
* In depth knowledge of GDPR/Data Protection Act 2018
* Extensive practical data protection and information management experience
* Provide risk-based advice and have good experience of providing practical outcomes based advice
* Working knowledge of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) in order to provide support to the FOIA team
* Be a decision maker in AWE's internal FOIA appeals process .