A growing order book within MBDA has created an increased workload for our state of the art manufacturing facility at Bolton. To establish and maintain production rates across the product range we require strong first line support from the design teams to address issues as they occur. As such, an opportunity has arisen for an electronics design engineer to join the team in Bolton to support production activities and act as an interface between the design teams in Stevenage and manufacturing in BoltonWhat are we looking for?
High performing teams need high performing and competent individuals. To be suitable for this role, Individuals will be able to demonstrate a number of the following attributes:
- Ideally have a qualification in Electronics (e.g. HNC/HND or equivalent) or a closely related subject.
- Experience in the design of electronics (the wider this experience the better) and preferably (but not essential) in the defence industry.
- Experience in supporting manufacturing, resolving manufacturing issues and supporting the transition of product into production.
- Be able to write clear and concise engineering documentation (including reports and investigation logs) and have good verbal communication, negotiation and influencing skills.
- Be pro-active, motivated and tenacious in resolving issues and generating solutions to problems whilst under time pressure.
- Work well in a multifunctional and multi-skilled team environment supporting knowledge transfer to/from colleagues
Note: This role requires reasonable travel in the UK and could involve some travel overseas in Europe, (subject to COVID-19 restrictions). What’s in it for you!
This role provides a unique opportunity to contribute to the transition of designs into production and to be part of a team that is the first port of call when problems occur. The problems can be varied and technically challenging and often aren’t what they first appear to be.
The scope to learn and enhance your capabilities and understanding of both environments is a rare opportunity. You will be interfacing at all levels of the organisation and be enhancing the relationship between design and manufacturing especially in ensuring that our designs are robust and contain the features necessary to improve manufacturability and testability.
You will get!
- The opportunity to work on some of the most advanced engineering products in the sector
- The opportunity to develop and grow into broader engineering disciplines
- The ability to become a leading expert in specialist fields
- A broad and varied technology and skill base
- A broad network of contacts within the defence industry
- The opportunity to travel to other European and non-European countries (subject to the status of COVID-19 restrictions).
*Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.The Role
This role involves performing a range of tasks in support of the more experienced Production Design Support Engineers across the product set that they support. These tasks will be carried out in accordance with all relevant processes, quality, and other requirements. They will include:
Join a great team
- Exposure to the latest in missile system technologies.
- Electronic design tasks and investigations, including the design and build of test and diagnostic aids.
- Investigating problem reports raised by manufacturing teams and proposing and implementing solutions,
- Writing technical reports and keeping investigation logs,
- Liaising with various teams in the manufacturing facility at Bolton and the design teams at Stevenage,
- Looking after a small lab area ensuring tools are available, equipment’s are in calibration and ensuring general tidiness of the area.
The Production Design Support team is a multi-skilled team of interdependent, highly capable and committed individuals. They are the crucial link between design and manufacturing and must use all of their experience, technical and personal capabilities to interface to both areas of the business, where time and cost pressures often cause rifts in the interface that must be carefully handled for success. The team is friendly and supportive and is respected throughout the manufacturing and design organisations.
- A small team working in a larger group creates a fantastic local atmosphere with a good level of support and challenge
- You will be moving into a brand new bespoke production facility with a modern environment and the opportunity to develop new tools, techniques and processes
- A group working within a leading company, offers all the benefits that a large company can bring. Scope for development, competitive benefits package, good local support, and a great atmosphere.
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements. MBDA is a proud member of Working Families – the UK’s work-life balance organisation.
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role