This role offers the chance to influence the current & future direction for design and testing of sophisticated missile Guidance & Control (G&C) systems, spanning specialist algorithms, real-time architecture, and complex equipment including RF & IR seekers, inertial sensors, actuators, propulsion (turbojets, ramjets and thrust-vectored rockets), and interfaces to surface and air launch platforms.
You will have opportunity to collaborate widely across departmental, directorate & national boundaries, and to be involved across multiple programmes at various points in their respective lifecycles, from the early research & concept stages through to full-scale development and guided flight trials.
This opportunity is offered to exert and develop your expertise both at a detailed Guidance & Control design level, and up through the higher architectural levels, where you can demonstrate a capability for rigorous system analysis and management of complexity.
What are we looking for?
- Provide specialist technical review, underwriting, and consultancy for GCN project teams and influence technology and designs of the wider project teams and subcontractors nationally & internationally
- Provide technological input and analysis for new projects in their initial and concept phases, and exert influence on the overall system and physical design
- Influence GCN research strategy & contribute to research activities
- Undertake focussed technical reviews and trouble-shoot where required
- Interact across the MBDA National Companies to collaboratively steer future capabilities and processes
What’s in it for you?
- Theoretical knowledge and extensive experience of aerospace guidance, control and navigation specification, analysis, algorithm design & implementation, real time architecture and verification
- Ability to bound the scope of an engineering problem and to communicate the design challenge in terms of clear unambiguous design requirements/goals
- Ability to manage complexity by identifying major drivers in a large, inter-connected engineering system
- Ability to cross-verify complex systems and system models against underlying theory
- Ability to connect and communicate complex or conceptually difficult ideas clearly and elegantly
- Ability to diagnose abnormalities in an engineering system both physically and virtually through computer modelling and simulation (Matlab & Simulink)
- Passion for life-long learning in a highly-technical field
- Ability to influence technically when there are other factors driving teams
What’s great about the team?
- Respect and satisfaction associated with a highly-visible, strategic senior position within a much-respected, supportive and technically-capable Department
- Deep intellectual stimulation from getting to grips with complex technical challenges within a field requiring a combination of specialist knowledge and a good grasp of technologies and design across the much wider missile system
- Rare opportunity for highly-focussed technical involvement, collaborative research and strategy steering without the encumbrance of line management duties
- The role has the breadth and depth to develop your technical expertise, and to provide stimulating and satisfying work, well into the future
- Opportunity to establish wide network of National & International contacts within MBDA and externally
- Chance to influence across a range of products both Nationally and Internationally.
- International travel is expected
What would you get?
- The team work at the heart of all MBDA products, engendering the esprit de corps that comes from seeing a real impact across our current and future portfolio.
- Working within the GCN Department that offers a collegiate environment and the chance to influence all project teams as well as across internationally boundaries.
- As part of this, you will be embedded with a supportive group of Technical Experts within the Department
- Delivering not only guidance to projects but also working to develop the UK strategical position across the research domains while ensuring coherence with the international arms of MBDA.
*Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements. MBDA is a proud member of Working Families – the UK’s work-life balance organisation.Follow MBDA on LinkedIn and Twitter. Please Note:
MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role.