AWE plc is looking for an Electronics Engineer to join a small electronics research and development team. The team designs bespoke electrical products to meet emerging and changing customer needs for the Nuclear Threat Reduction business area, this makes for a rapid pace of technology development.
Location - Reading/Basingstoke area
AWE offer a competitive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available.
We are looking for highly motivated individuals that have an interest and passion for engineering, enjoys learning new skills and seeks to understand how technology works. The job position will be a junior position within a small R&D team undergoing rapid expansion. The position will have many opportunities to learn and develop their electronic skills in design, test and manufacture of electronic based products.
The job is a multi-disciplined role where personnel will be expected to carry out multiple parts of the product development lifecycle. Over time and with guidance from the team, it is expected that the individual would be involved with requirements capture, electronic circuit design, PCB layout / design and embedded programming of electrical products being manufactured for the customer.
Key Responsibilities will include
- Self-motivated and self-management to meet project deadlines.
- Good communicator comfortable speaking to both technical and non-technical people at different levels of seniority.
- Requirements capture and research to find appropriate solutions to technical problems.
- Design of electronic circuits and interfacing of various electronic systems to meet customer needs.
- Support teams in offsite exercises and trials of manufactured products.
The successful candidate is expected to have:
- An NVQ level 4 or equivalent qualification in Electronics or another relevant technical field.
- A minimum of 2-3 years' experience within industry. This can include an apprenticeship or graduate placement within industry.
- A fundamental understanding of embedded electronic design.
- An understanding of multi-layer PCB design.
- Knowledge or experience in digital electronics using programable devices, and be familiar with C, C++ or Python programming languages.
- Experience of electrical testing on electronic circuits, understanding and experience in the use of standard test equipment such as oscilloscopes, multimeters and function generators etc.
Desired skills / experience:
- Educated to Degree level in electronic engineering or other relevant fields (2.1 or above).
- Valid UK drivers' licence.
- Experience with project development and working to strict project timelines / deadlines.
- Knowledge of radiation detector technologies and theory.
- Practical Use of ECAD tools such as Altium designer, Mentor designer
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.