This is a technical and team leadership role working across the UK Systems Capability department acting as a technical lead in Model Based Systems Engineering for the department and leading the Stevenage based team. The role directly supports the Head of Department by helping to define the vision and drive the direction of MBSE capability within the business. The role plays a critical part in assuring the provision of education, training and support to MBDA UK business, projects and individuals supporting Weapon Systems, Missile Design and Equipment (e.g. Centres of Excellence).
Primary responsibility is to provide expert advice on all aspects of MBSE and provide projects with access to such expertise. Particular emphasis is on developing MBSE best practice and supporting the business in its application, with responsibilities associated with MBDA Next Line VII and wider company Model Based
Engineering (MBE) improvement initiatives. Specific responsibilities include:
Responsible for planning, monitoring and delivering team activities, and the professional development of the team members. The department applies Agile approaches to managing workload and output, so the successful candidate will be the Scrum Master, and will develop and facilitate the agile delivery approach across SE&DC.
Provision of in-project consultancy style support to key projects, in particular during their start-up phase, tailored to project needs to ensure maximum project benefit is obtained from best practice use
Assessment of current expertise relating to core Systems Engineering techniques and developing/delivering process improvement and behavioural change to teams.
Travel internationally in order to maintain a close International working relationship with other NATCO’s Systems and Software Capability teams. Specifically by leading the UK’s representation at the International MBSE Workshops and RMFA/GMFA working groups. Acting as department lead for International ALM activities.
What we’re looking for
- Specialist in Systems Engineering with a sound understanding of state of the art model based systems engineering tools and techniques and their application in the systems engineering domain.
- Significant experience of full lifecycle issues on major projects and significant understanding of design for cost and the effect of through life cost issues.
- Ability to challenge, motivate and lead a team delivering a diverse set of services, making difficult prioritisation decisions and managing partners from across the company (UK and Group level)
- Ability to apply yourself to solve systemic problems using a variety of systems thinking approaches to deliver the best outcome for the business.
- Knowledge of IBM ALM applications would be highly advantageous.
- Knowledge of Agile and how to apply it at scale would be highly advantageous.
What’s in it for you?
As a senior and critical role in a fast-moving critical capability department, you will:
- Lead a variety of projects and functional activities including high visibility strategic change initiatives such as MBDA Next, liaising and collaborating with key partners at all levels of the business.
- Network and lead exchanges with external professional bodies, peer organisations and academia.
- Collaborate with teams in MBDA France, Italy and Germany, to share, leverage and implement coherent approaches. This will involve international meetings and international travel.
- Make a significant contribution to enhancing Model Based Systems Engineering in MBDA UK and your own Systems Engineering expertise.
- *Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.
Join a great team!
- You will be joining a team of experienced Systems Engineers who have genuine passion and enthusiasm for Systems Engineering. They continually develop and readily share their knowledge and understanding of Systems Engineering methods and tools, specifically in a challenging model-driven context.
- The team has developed and continue to develop excellent working relationships with projects, other functions and key partners across the business both in MBDA UK and the wider MBDA international group business.
- The team has real impact on the delivery of critical strategic programmes such as the current Model-based Engineering enhancement and Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) programmes enabling collaborative model-based engineering across the MBDA enterprise.
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We’re here to help and want to ensure you have a positive experience throughout our recruitment process. We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments.
MBDA is a proud member of Working Families – the UK’s work-life balance organisation. We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended 2-3 days per week approach to on-site and remote working.
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers) and Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK).
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role!