At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you passionate about technical work and interested in joining the operational activities of our cabling services for the experiments and experimental areas? Do you have solid experience being responsible for an industrial cabling workshop? Do you have experience with work site supervision in the electrical field? Are you a qualified and proactive electrical technician, willing to contribute to a unique environment at the heart of one of the world's most complex and exciting scientific experiments? Then, this opportunity is for you - join the largest particle physics research laboratory in the world. CERN, take part!
The Beams Department (BE) provides CERN with the unique competencies required for the conception, design, survey, alignment, control and operation of accelerators, accelerator test facilities, secondary beam lines and experimental areas. It also invests heavily in training new generations of physicists, engineers and technicians in related fields.
Within the BE department, you will work for the Experimental Areas (EA) group, which is responsible for the beamlines, infrastructure and management of CERN's experimental areas and provides engineering support and services including associated contracts. EA is furthermore supporting the LHC experiments as well as participating in and partly hosting the management of a number of CERN wide projects.
Acting as direct contact to both our internal CERN clients, as well as related suppliers, after an initial training period your will become responsible for the electrical switch board production. You will aim at the highest customer satisfaction, in accordance with CERN safety rules, while continuously improving and developing quality and electric testing procedures. The work is carried out together with scientists and technicians working on the CERN experiments from all over the world, and staff of CERN groups requiring support, both in the workshop as well as on the field.
As a technician, you will take part in all the life-cycle of cabling activities of complex HV/LV signal systems from the order to the installation and verification.
Your functions will:
- Perform and/or supervise the production of integrated systems such as electrical cubicles, distribution- and switchboards, as well as crates and racks: from the feasibility studies (selection of cross section, electrical components, enclosures, drafting of specifications, quotations, qualification tests) to the execution (planning, definition of the necessary resources, ordering of the equipment, technical supervision of the teams on site, electrical lock out, hazard management, tests, final acceptance, and invoicing) in accordance applicable norms.
- Supervise the production and manufacture cables and electrical assemblies internally or through subcontracting, addressing client specifications, assembly/production procedures and execution.
- Coordinate the cabling installation activities in different technical environments.
- Actively contribute to a continuous quality improvement process: development of testing procedures, improvement of processes for productivity increase, work documentation and the development and follow-up of key performance indicators.
- Be the main technical interface with respect to our users and provide input for selecting the most suitable technical solutions (validation of specifications, design solutions, technical alternatives, materials selection, and costing).
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electrical or electro-mechanical or a related field.
- Substantial experience in the production of wired cabling and electrical switchboards as well as in the assembly of connectors and associated tools.
- Extended experience in technical coordination in a medium-sized industrial wiring workshop, ideally including related resource management tasks.
- Demonstrated experience in worksite supervision.
- Practical knowledge of CAO packages used for the design and assembly of electrical cupboards is considered as an asset.
- Construction, test and installation of electromechanical equipment and systems / Construction, test et installation d’équipements et de systèmes électromécaniques: (electrical crates/racks/cubicles and associated cabling/powering) - including functional knowledge of electro-technical components and systems.
- Design and manufacturing of cables, including connectors / Conception et fabrication de câbles, y compris connecteurs: (design part limited to follow user's requirements and manufacture accordingly).
- Knowledge and application of quality and reliability assurance techniques in electronics / Gestion de la qualité: (in the context of electrical connectors and soldering, as well as functional quality checks of electrical cabinets).
- Specification and follow-up of technical aspects of a contract / Gestion des contrats.
- Practical knowledge of an electrical design tool (SEE Electrical or Eplan) is an asset.
- Working in teams: Building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships. Contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues. Working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Achieving results: Delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations. Having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Managing self: Using time efficiently and effectively. Working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
Spoken and written French: ability to understand and speak English in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12 midday on 25.05.2021.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Must have full colour vision to distinguish between the multitude of cable colours.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: BE-EA-AS-2021-42-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electrical Technician