Emissions compliance schemes and voluntary carbon markets can play a key role in progressing towards a lower-carbon future. Shell delivers environmental solutions that enable our customers from all over the world to manage their own local and regional CO? compliance obligations and to gain access to global markets.
If you are a regulatory expert with a passion for carbon markets and a commercial mindset this could be your chance to make a difference in the energy industry. You will play a key role in growing the Shell global environmental business by shaping the EU regulatory framework for carbon related products, coordinating regulatory work on carbon markets globally and advising traders on commercial positions, new markets and value propositions for our clients.
Where you fit in
Shell is an experienced trader of environmental products, providing a wide range of solutions through our global trading network. We are active in compliance and voluntary markets globally through our four regional desks in London, San Diego, Shanghai and Singapore.
Environmental compliance markets are a key mechanism through which companies can manage their emissions by trading carbon credits. They are administrated by national, regional and/or international regulators.
Understanding the complex regulatory framework for carbon markets in the EU and globally, translating regulations into winning commercial structures, developing solutions for our clients, influencing the shaping up of new policies and regulations affecting carbon markets will be key success factors for Shell to outcompete others in the market and deliver on its growth ambitions.
You will become a key part of our SE and NE Regulatory Team, a team of regulatory experts who are passionate about:
- Delivering value for Shell by identifying key regulatory risks and mitigating strategies to protect Shell’s existing and aspired commercial positions;
- Developing opportunities to change existing regulations to enable business growth and
- Actively pursuing and delivering regulatory change by playing a thought leadership role in external regulatory processes.
What’s the role?
As a Commercial and Regulatory Affairs Manager for Environmental Products, you are going to:
- Monitor national and international authorities on policy, regulatory and market design issues having a commercial impact on our carbon markets business;
- Develop insights into the carbon markets regulatory and market design structures and trends;
- Use this knowledge to derive and facilitate commercial strategies to generate tangible financial results in the short, medium term and long term;
- Develop insights on competitors and key market participants’ regulatory positions to help Shell identify future opportunities and threats;
- Engage with commercial and functional teams to develop joint views on regulatory and market design opportunities, risks and threats;
- Leveraging on your professional regulatory network, develop and execute influencing and advocacy strategies in to secure value protection, new opportunities and business growth;
- Represent Shell in relevant trade and industry associations and their committees and working groups. This will likely involve external leadership roles, e.g. committee chair.
- Connect regulatory activities performed by regulatory staff working on carbon markets globally ensuring knowledge sharing and consistency of external positions on cross cutting carbon related issues.
What we need from you?
The role has a significant requirement for external engagements, including EC level, politicians, civil servants, regulatory authorities, academics and competitors. A strong external focus, an ability to network and develop relationships, as well as diplomatic skills are required.
At times you will work on formal consultations with a large amount of complex material that can be quite academic in nature with an aim to develop comprehensive Shell responses. You will need to distil the information, grasp the commercial concept, build a compelling argument and execute effective advocacy and lobbying. This entails communicating messages with confidence and credibility.
Attention to details is always a must and commercial acumen a necessity. You will be a self-starter, able to initiate new opportunities from a broadly defined set of objectives, meet/exceed performance targets and motivate others to do likewise.
The scope of regulatory activities involves many parts of our organization and is conducted across different locations and languages so the goal of achieving excellence and tangible returns is challenging. Your ability to lead and coordinate activities across a varied, complex and challenging business landscape is paramount.
Also, we are interested in attracting people who share our core working values of honesty, integrity and respect for others and we seek professionals who can build on our business vision, are prepared to accept accountability and can achieve great results through teamwork.
We expect you to hold:
- A Degree in one of the following disciplines economics, engineering, political sciences;
- Significant knowledge of the design and functioning of carbon markets and significant experience of the changing regulatory, commercial, customer and competitor playing field in the EU markets for carbon and environmental products;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in written and spoken English is essential;
Experience in Trading or Business Development is an advantage.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then we have grown into a leading innovative oil and gas company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation, and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Apply now via the "Apply" button.