Embedded Software Engineer
Based in Melksham
Permanent and full-time
Knorr-Bremse Rail Systems UK is a member of the global Knorr-Bremse Group, a world leader in braking and sub-systems for rail vehicles. Operating from four facilities in the UK, and with outstanding rail engineering, manufacturing, overhaul and repair ability, Knorr-Bremse Rail Systems UK has the capability and capacity to support both train builders and operators.
Knorr-Bremse Rail Systems UK offer, and provide full life support for, the entire portfolio of Knorr-Bremse Cross-Connected rail systems technology, including braking, climate control/HVAC, entrance, power electrics, adhesion, sanitary and integrated digital control and monitoring technology.
Purpose of position: To engineer and maintain embedded software on KBRS products.
Training / education:
Degree in software engineering related subject or Computer Science or relevant experience
Professional experience and / or qualifications:
• In depth knowledge of serial communications in embedded real-time applications.
• Demonstrated development of embedded software using the C language. Through the full software lifecycle
• Use of configuration control tooling to provide version controlling to KBRS’s embedded software.
• Appreciation of developing safety-related software with appreciation of the EN50128
• Have significant experience in CAN Bus and Ethernet communications is highly desirable
• Significant experience in RS232, SPI, and I2C communications is highly desirable.
• Some experience in real-time safety relates software development within a software quality process is advantageous.
• Have understanding or basic experience in different methods of white-box testing.
• C++ .NET experience to allow creation or maintaining of test PC applications for embedded software.
• Defining & technically managing 3rd party engineering services.
Additional skills and requirements (IT, languages, extensive travel, Etc.):
• Have the capability to specify and implement network architectures and communication protocols
• Willing to travel for short periods to support embedded software.
Indicative main responsibilities / duties
• Engineering and maintaining embedded software on KBRS Brake Related products (full lifecycle)
• Developing embedded products and networks with integrated communication interfaces.
• On receiving product requirements, writing software requirements for real -time embedded
software solutions that allow a software tester to write test cases to verify the software’s operation.
• Module testing code produced using test-harnesses created using KBRS tooling, identifying any issues or proving compliance to functional requirements.
Applying for this position:
Please send your CV and cover letter to: MLK.Recruitment@knorr-bremse.com