MBDA Missile Systems - Deliver for a more secure tomorrow
Part time working considered
A rare opportunity has arisen for a Materials Engineer with drive and enthusiasm to join Europe’s number one missile system provider, developing cutting edge design solutions for the next generation of weapons.
Working in a world class Materials Laboratory within the Materials & Processes Group you will be given responsibility to provide complex practical support around laboratory analysis, design support and failure investigations for both national and international projects.
You will join a talented and multi-disciplined team comprising of Chemists, Metallurgists, Polymer specialists, Ceramicists & Composite specialists, and you will be able to develop your skills and experience working with the various technical experts.
You will be expected to communicate your findings to a broad and in some cases non-technical audience, so we are looking for enthusiastic and effective communicators, being able to tailor the message to suit the audience.
What we’re looking for
- Ideally educated to an equivalent of HND in Materials Science, Chemistry or Mechanical engineering.
- Understanding of materials and their processes, ideally with some understanding of health and environmental legislation.
- An adaptable flexible and hands on individual able to use scientific instruments but also able to work with hardware and understand assemblies (e.g. controlled disassembly)
- Great problem solving skills.
- Good communication skills, with both technical and non-technical teams
- Whilst not essential it would be beneficial if you had past experience in common Thermal Analysis Methods (TA, DSC, TMA), Mechanical Testing or some previous interest in chemistry.
- The ability to work safely within a laboratory environment.
What’s in it for you?
- Within MBDA the Materials & Processes group cannot be beaten for the sheer variety of work. You will supporting every project across the business in all aspects of their relevant lifecycle (i.e. from research and development, to design & manufacture support as well as in service and end out life disposal).
- You will be working with a diverse team who are specialised in a variety of engineering fields enabling an unparalleled breadth of development. Alongside the expertise of the team you will have access to world class scientific instruments and material testing capability, increasing by around £0.5 million a year.
- You will feel as if you are making a tangible difference working from first principles to solve various material investigations. Often working as the last resort to recover critical situations occurring in production or providing in service support.
*Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.
Join a great team!
The expertise and ability in the team make it an interesting and great place to learn, many of the roles are complementary and you will be able to draw from many different parts of the team to complete the task at hand.
The team is small but mighty - making it a friendly and personal place to work. We also have a strong network with many other areas of the business through our frequent interaction across the board.
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We’re here to help and want to ensure you have a positive experience throughout our recruitment process. We recognise that everyone is unique and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments.
MBDA is a proud member of Working Families – the UK’s work-life balance organisation. We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended 2-3 days per week approach to on-site and remote working.
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers) and Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK).
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role