Craft Practitioner - Machine Tools/Mechatronics
Location - Reading/Basingstoke Area
Salary - Base salary plus contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, additional flexible benefits scheme and excellent work/life balance including 9 day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available.
Supporting the UK's Continuous at Sea Deterrence programme and national nuclear security are at the heart of we do, therefore working with us is both exciting and challenging - in fact it's everything you would expect from a company that supports national security.
The Engineering function at AWE has a vacancy available for a Multi-Disciplined Machine Tool Craft specialist and we're encouraging applications from engineers (across various technical disciplines) who are looking for their next opportunity.
As a Machine Tool Craft Engineer, you will be responsible for carrying out a wide range of planned and reactive activities on plant and equipment which can include installations, repairs, replacement, calibration, testing & modifications to optimise plant and equipment availability.
Successful applicants will have the opportunity to work on equipment that is bespoke, high accuracy and specialist to AWE in addition to a range of standard machine tools.
Successful applicants will take a lead role in the implementation of safe systems of work and work instructions, demonstrating understanding, competence and adherence to all relevant legislative and company standards within designated areas of responsibility.
This opportunity would ideally suit someone with the following:
- An engineering apprenticeship with a minimum NVQ/Diploma Level 3 in a relevant technical discipline or NVQ/Diploma level 2 plus industrial experience.
- Knowledge and working experience of fault-finding techniques and methodologies. You will be required to work in a professional and flexible manner across a variety of locations and facilities to fulfil business production requirements
- Experience of operational craft activities including fault finding techniques and methodologies
- Working knowledge/experience of Machine Tools, Press or Additive Manufacturing Machines.
- An understanding of the HASAWA
- Experience of Safe Systems of Work (Including Method Statements and Risk Assessments)
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.