Facility Engineer - Operational Technologies
Location - Reading / Basingstoke Area
Package - £34,000 - c£46,000 depending on suitability and level of experience. AWE offer a competitive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available.
If you are flexible and adaptable, a self-starter, friendly, engaging and have a keen interest in software configuration and disaster recovery, we have a great opportunity for you at AWE.
Our engineers gain experience on a wide variety of equipment and projects and are able to make a direct and visible contribution to the successful running of the business.
You will be part of a specialist team within a multi-discipline service delivery function and will be responsible for providing expertise in disciplines such as software configuration, SMART instruments and disaster recovery, whilst considering cyber security aspects.
Within this role, your day to day responsibilities will include:
- Providing technical leadership and consultancy to maintainers, facility engineers, project managers and commissioning teams
- Working across a range of plant, facilities and systems within the sites in both production and research environments in support of the UK nuclear deterrent
- Identifying technical issues, evaluating options and providing solutions within the bounds of individual technical competence, seeing tasks through to satisfactory conclusion
- Producing design proposals and technical reports demonstrating how proposed solutions meet their requirements
- Interfacing with external contractors and manufacturers
- Identifying upgrade paths for obsolete equipment
To be successful in this role you will need to have:
- Previous experience in an Operational Technology Engineering role or supporting OT equipment
- Experience of diagnosing faults on OT/PC based systems and installing/replacing hardware/software to resolve the issue
- Extensive experience working with SCADA and PLC / BMS / DCS systems and developing or modifying software for them
- HNC, HND or Degree in a relevant engineering discipline
- Registration with a relevant Professional Engineering Institution. IEng
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.