About the Role
Do you have the skills to be part of NPL’s activities working alongside the UK semiconductor industry to produce critical components for future quantum technologies?
This is a pivotal role establishing a new service and new capabilities in Laser Characterisation and Test & Evaluation. You’ll be leading a growing team with a combination of scientists and engineers to provide services and support to our UK industry partners. To do this, you’ll liaise with external and internal stakeholders, listening to what they need, what they have and what they would like.
The National Quantum Technology programme in the UK is aimed at commercialising the application of quantum technologies, for example, in computing, communication, sensing and metrology. As part of this, NPL is working with UK industry to define the requirements, and the associated test and evaluation procedures, for stable and reliable lasers that will be components in future quantum devices. We are looking for a scientist to join this work and be part of the test and evaluation team focussing on laser development and characterisation activities.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in the development, test and evaluation of laser technologies. You will be leading a growing team to help design new kinds of laser systems with UK industry, undertake laser characterisation measurements, build the associated measurement set-ups and automate them.
As well as having a passion for working with lasers, we’re looking for someone who is able to independently solve problems in the lab as they arise, manage their time to work to tight deadlines, work closely with industrial partners, handle commercially sensitive information and have excellent technical communication skills – both written and spoken.
- Expert in semiconductor optoelectronics
- A demonstrative drive to expand capabilities, services or products
- Experience in effective communication with various stakeholders both written & verbal
- Previously worked in the field of laser development and testing and able to undertake laser characterisation measurements, develop new measurement procedures and build associated test-setups
- Proven experience of following strict measurement procedures that ensure reliability and repeatability of test results
- Educated to PhD level in engineering/physics or a related subject
- Experience of the semiconductor industry and/or knowledge of the various types of semiconductor lasers and their applications
The following experience would be advantageous,
- Comprehensive understanding of semiconductor lasers, particularly VCSELs
- Leading and growing a multidisciplinary team
- Proven experience in expanding services or products
- Experience in Automating laboratory measurements
- Prior experience of working with industry, product development and/or commercial awareness
- Programming in LabVIEW or Python to control instruments
Please note: Applications will be reviewed, and interviews conducted throughout the duration of this advert therefore we may at any time bring the closing date forward. We encourage all interested applicants to apply as soon as practical.
About The Company
NPL and BEIS have strong commitments to diversity and equality of opportunity, and welcome applications from candidates irrespective of their background, gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, or age, providing they meet the required criteria. Applications from women, disabled and BAME candidates in particular are encouraged. All disabled candidates (as defined by the Equality Act 2010) who satisfy the minimum criteria for the role will be guaranteed an interview under the Disability Confident Scheme.
We’re transforming. As a national laboratory, we’re exploring even more commercial routes to market and that’s presenting us with greater opportunity – for you and us. Our success relies on the diversity and talent of our people, we strive to nurture and respect individuals to ensure everyone feels valued and supported to excel in their chosen field. This value is at the core of our organisation.
We believe in a culture of fairness by treating everyone on the basis of their own individual merits and abilities regardless of their own or perceived identity, background or any other factor irrelevant to a person’s work. At NPL we are committed to the health and well-being of our employees. Flexible working and social activities are embedded in our culture to create a positive work-life balance, along with a broad range of benefits. NPL’s values are at the heart of what we do and they shape the way we interact, develop our people and celebrate success.
As part of our commitment to diversity & inclusion, we signed up to the Institute of Physics' Project Juno in 2015 as a Juno Supporter. NPL were proud to be awarded Juno Practitioner status in 2018. NPL also joined Stonewall as a Diversity champion in 2015, participating in their annual Workplace Equality Index for the equality of LGBT+ community at NPL. In 2018, NPL became a member of the Business Disability Forum and joined the disability confident scheme as level 1 committed employer.
To ensure everyone has an equal chance, we’re always willing to make reasonable adjustments to the recruitment process. If you would like to discuss, please contact us.