At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a motivated technician in the field of electronics who is passionate about building, maintaining and testing the complex electronics required to operate accelerators at the high energy frontier? Take Part!
You will join the Accelerator Systems Department (SY), which is responsible for the beam-related technical systems of the CERN accelerators. The SY teams design, build and operate equipment systems in all CERN accelerators, and are engaged in ambitious forward-looking R&D programmes.
This position is opened in the Beam Instrumentation (BI) Group which is responsible for designing, building and maintaining the instruments that allow observation of the particle beams and the measurement of related parameters for all CERN accelerators. The range of activities undertaken by the Group includes: accelerator physics, detector technology, custom built electronics, mechanical and vacuum engineering for detector housings and software engineering.
As Electromechanical technician, the job will involve:
- The design, construction, test and installation of electromechanical equipment and systems for beam instrumentation and electron beams ;
- The operation, maintenance, repair of beam instrumentation and electron beam systems across the CERN accelerator complex (electromechanic and electronic parts).
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electro-mechanics or electronics or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience as a technician in the field of electro-mechanics, and in particular the production, installation and/or maintenance of electromechanical systems.
- Construction, test and installation of electromechanical equipment and systems
- Assembly of electronic components
- Testing and measurement of analog electronic circuits
- Assembly of electronic crates, racks and cabinets
- Knowledge and application of instrumentation and measurement techniques
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations; willingness to acquire knowledge of the other language rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12 midday on 23.06.2021.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: SY-BI-XEI-2021-54-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electromechanical Technician