AWE is currently recruiting for a Construction Engineer to monitor, report, assist and liaise with the Contractors to verify that the requirements of the contract are being fulfilled and that AWE process' and LC requirements are fully adhered to on Construction sites.
Location - Reading area
Package - £33,850 - c£47,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
AWE offer a competitive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available.
You will be responsible for the following:
- Maintaining an accurately detailed daily site diary of site conditions, progress and the resources available to undertake the work activities throughout the construction phase
- Providing input to Weekly Reports which include Site Safety Inspections, Quality Control, Test Inspection Plans, Defect Notices, Deliveries [accepted or rejected] for the project
- Promoting good practice of material sustainability (reuse and/or recycle) initiatives to reduce waste and save costs
- Ensuring that, where applicable, contractor's operatives are competent, qualified and licensed to undertake their work activities correctly and that all plant and equipment used is tested, maintained and certified as specified
- Monitoring and recording specific or specialist deliveries to site to ensure that the condition of the load meets the standard, that the items are handled correctly, packaging is intact and that storage facilities are appropriate. Required protection is provided and correct handling techniques are always applied
- Undertaking all necessary checks to ensure that installed services and equipment can be reasonably and safely maintained
- Actively participate in the project hand over process and ensure that appropriate documental evidence is provided to the Construction Manager
- Supervising specific requirements on AWE construction sites for all matters of Health, Safety, Environmental Quality and Security
To be considered for this role, you'll need:
- An appropriate qualification in a relevant engineering discipline; ONC/HNC/HND or equivalent
- Practical construction experience
- Experience of construction management
- The ability to organise and execute complex construction projects and analyse results
- A good understanding of Health and Safety
- A good understanding of HSAWA, CDM, risk assessments, safety systems, safety cases and SSoW
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.