Sharpak Aylesham is a manufacturer of thermoformed plastic packaging for use in the Fresh Produce and Food Service divisions. Established in 1968 in Canterbury, Kent, the site has significantly grown in recent years and aims to be the first choice for rigid plastic packaging solutions through our reliability, efficiency, and innovation as a manufacturer of sustainable packaging on a local and global platform.
The role is required to compliment the Engineering Maintenance team with a sound understanding of engineering fundamentals, both electrical and mechanical. A key focus of the role is to develop and implement more long-term reliable solutions by application of thorough root cause analysis.
The role will support various upgrade/improvement projects to optimise our equipment utilisation and efficiency targets and is required to be fully autonomous and proactive to help ensure the Engineering Department supports future business growth.
- Undertake planned maintenance tasks autonomously to ensure breakdowns are within predetermined KPI timeframes.
- Assist and support with reactive maintenance tasks in a proactive fashion, liaising with the Operations Manager to ensure production downtime is minimised.
- Work on electrical installations up to 430V, process safety circuits, and electrical control circuits (PLC & VSD), following relevant health and safety standards.
- Carry out routine annual PAT testing and ensuring all completed tests are recorded appropriately, addressing issues to the relevant manager.
- Ensure all relevant tasks within the Engineering Department are risk assessed annual and reviewed periodically.
- Undertake proactive and effective fault diagnosis utilising both mechanical and electrical root cause analysis to establish problems and determine solutions.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including suppliers, service providers and department managers.
- Develop a firm understanding of the Company processes and suggesting improvements in order to embrace a culture of continuous improvement.
- Assist with obtaining and developing department KPI targets in collaboration with the Operations Director.
QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING REQUIRED
- Formal Qualification in Engineering(electrical biased), NVQ level 3+ with significant experience in Electrical and Mechanical, OR;
- An Engineering degree (Electrical biased) with a minimum of 2 years’ experience Electrical and Mechanical (NQV 5+ )
- Must be qualified to Professional Technician level at IET (ProfTech) or studying towards.
- PLC Control systems (fundamentals)
- Variable Speed Drives (fundamentals)
- Safety Circuits EN ISO 13849 - 1
- 18th Edition Wiring Regulations
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Ability to demonstrate actual workplace experience in applying Engineering knowledge and skills to perform root cause analysis.
- Experience of working in a high-volume manufacturing environment, ideally within packaging industry.
- Knowledge of CAD or similar software (reading drawings)
- Significant experience in root cause analysis related to technical problem solving.
- Demonstrable experience of analysing data and making recommendations where necessary.
- Ability to work autonomously to a high standard, either alone or as part of a wider team.
- Self-motivated with a commitment to personal development.
- Good communication skills, giving the post-holder the ability to deal confidently with a range of people at all levels.
- Good IT skills, sufficient to be able to produce well-presented documentation and reports.
The role works a 6am-2pm / 2pm-10pm / 10pm-6am 3-week rotation Monday to Friday with an expectation to be on-call at weekends approximately 1 in 5.
Benefits include generous allowances, paid breaks, life assurance, T&D programmes, performance related bonus scheme, on-site parking, wellness programmes and 30 days holiday (including bank holidays).
If you feel you meet the essential criteria for this post and are looking for a dynamic organisation within which to learn and grow, apply now.