Software Engineer (SY-ABT-BTC-2021-59-LD)
Geneva, Switzerland Contract
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a qualified and proactive Software Engineer, willing to become an expert in the software design for control of equipment for one of the world's most complex and exciting scientific experiments? Then this opportunity is for you. Join the largest particle physics research laboratory in the world! CERN, take part!
You will join the Accelerator Systems Department (SY), which is responsible for the beam-related technical systems of the CERN accelerators, working within the Accelerator Beam Transfer Group (ABT), which is in charge of the design, development, construction, installation, exploitation, and maintenance of all the particle beam injection as well as the extraction equipment of the CERN’s accelerator complex.
You will be working in the Beam Transfer Controls (BTC) Section specialised in process automation, controls software and its infrastructure for all equipment under the responsibility of the ABT Group and associated R&D activities.
As a Software Engineer, you will take part in the study, design, development and commissioning of software packages for the control of beam transfer equipment across the whole CERN accelerator complex.
In close collaboration with the experts of the Group, you will:
- Develop real-time software and related expert applications;
- Design data acquisition, analysis and monitoring software to provide our experts with tools for the surveillance and performance follow-up of ABT equipment;
- Participate in the exploitation, maintenance and upgrade of existing control systems proposing improvements as required;
- Provide technical students and contractors with adequate guidance, training and support when required;
- Document and present your work as appropriate.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of software / computing engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated working experience as an object oriented software developer;
- Experience with real-time operating system including integration of hardware;
- Knowledge in the engineering of control and acquisition systems would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: (C++, Python, Java);
- Development of software for embedded and real-time systems with/without OS;
- Knowledge of operating systems: (Linux);
- Re-use, refactoring, integration and porting of existing software;
- Architecture and design of ICT systems: (control & data acquisition systems, data processing and analysis).
- Working in teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements Identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; thinking "out of the box" and proposing fresh ideas, insights and methodologies.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw-up technical reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12 midday on 12.07.2021.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: SY-ABT-BTC-2021-59-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Technical Engineer