Mechanical Engineer - Particle Accelerators
Salary: £39,748 to £44,166 per annum (dependent on skills and experience). A Specialist of Allowance of up to £5000 per annum is also available for this role.
Location: Science and Technology Facilities Council, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Harwell, Oxfordshire.
We currently have a fantastic opportunity for a mechanical engineer to lead and own engineering projects on our ISIS Muon and Neutron Source accelerator equipment! This role will involve working on both our existing accelerator and the potential next version, ISIS-II, which will be an all-new accelerator in the concept stage now.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe's largest multi-disciplinary research organisations. Owned and operated by STFC, the ISIS Neutron and Muon Source is a world-leading centre for research in the physical and life sciences. Through the use of a proton accelerator and a high power target facility, we have the ability to produce beams of neutrons and muons that allow scientists to study materials at the atomic level using a suite of instruments, often described as 'super-microscopes'.
Joining us a mechanical engineer, your main responsibilities will include:
- Full lifecycle engineering from concept to commissioning of one-off components and larger, complex systems.
- Carrying out mechanical engineering calculations and analysis with precision tolerances.
- Project management, including coordinating the activities of various different technical subject areas to achieve the required end goal.
- Producing mechanical designs and detailed drawings using 2D and 3D Computer Aided Design
We are looking for someone with:
- A suitable engineering qualification, or equivalent, with knowledge of fundamental mechanical engineering principles.
- Experience with particle accelerator equipment or related fields.
- An understanding of fluid mechanics and heat transfer.
- Experience within a mechanical design environment and reporting on the development of technically challenging engineering equipment.
- Experience in performing engineering calculations and simulations.
Our employees are integral to our organisation, so we have put benefits in place to ensure people feel valued and supported during their employment with us. Alongside flexible working arrangements and a generous annual leave allowance, we offer all of our employees access to excellent learning and development courses, a defined pension scheme and a 24/7 employee assistance programme. We are keen to support our teams through the challenging world we are currently living in and during this pandemic we have also introduced support for parents who are home schooling, home-working wellbeing initiatives, and we pride ourselves on our COVID secure procedures on site.
UKRI is an Equal Opportunity & Disability Confident Employer.
Closing Date: 11th July 2021