At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you willing to become a key player in high power systems? Join CERN’s Electrical Power Converter Group (EPC) and leave your mark on the development/operation of the electrical systems for CERN's particle accelerators. Take part!
You will join the Accelerator Systems Department (SY), which is responsible for the beam-related technical systems of the CERN accelerators. The SY teams design, build and operate equipment systems in all CERN accelerators, and are engaged in ambitious forward-looking R&D programmes.
The Electrical Power Converter Group (EPC) in the Systems Department (SY) is responsible for the electrical power systems for the entire CERN accelerator complex.
You will join the High Power Converter Section (SY-EPC-HPC), responsible for the high-power power systems in the range between 1 MW and 150 MW.
As technician specialised in electrical engineering or power electronics, you will be a member of the team responsible for the design, development, production, installation, commissioning, operation and maintenance of CERN’s electrical power systems.
- Design or contribute to the design of electrical power systems;
- Construct or supervise the construction and installation of electrical power systems;
- Participate in the commissioning and testing of electrical power systems;
- Be in charge of the operation and maintenance of these systems;
- Participate in fault-finding and corrective interventions.
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electrical engineering or power electronics or a related field.
- Design of electrical power systems or power electronics;
- Installation, commissioning, operation or maintenance of electrical power equipment;
- Use of CAD tools for the creation of electrical schematics and 3-D drawings;
- Design, installation and testing of PLC-based control systems would be an advantage.
- Construction, test and installation of power electronic components and systems
- Operation and maintenance of power electronic components and systems
- Installation, operation and maintenance of industrial data-acquisition, monitoring and control systems
- Construction, test and installation of electromechanical equipment and systems
- Assembly of electronic crates, racks and cabinets
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand, speak and write in one of the two languages in professional contexts, and an undertaking to acquire the other language rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 30.07.2021 by midday.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: SY-EPC-HPC-2021-64-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electrical Technician